PDA

View Full Version : Raising Angel Fry

fireman5214
09-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Hello, I am new here and I am not sure if I am posting in the right subsection of the forum but I have angel fish fry in the Marina Large breeder box and change the water through the box by the intake 1 time a day. Also feed the fry live baby brine shrimp and spirulina first bites but after 1 week they seem to die about 30-50%. What am I doing wrong? My friend says maybe the temp in the breeder box is not staying the same temp. The water temp is the same from the main tank at 80F but only when I turn the water on to flush out the breeder box with fresh water. If you are not familiar with what I have, here is a picture of it: http://www.thatpetplace.com/marina-hang-on-breeding-box-large

Thanks for any help in advance

bob123
09-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Hello fireman; I am also new to this site and forum but I am familiar with this breeder box as I have used it with livebearers. I leave the water changer on all the time so the box is receiving fresh water from the main tank continually. The fish grow much faster and can be fed four to five times a day with less waste in the breeder box. I have not tried it with egglayers yet.

catsma_97504
09-24-2013, 08:08 AM
I agree with Bob. Those breeder boxes only work with the constant water flow. Otherwise waste will buildup and pollute the water. Plus keeping a continuous flow will ensure the temperature is stable.

Welcome fireman.

fish355
11-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Hello, I use 16" square plastic bowls to hatch fry and it seems to work well. Maybe you could give it a try.