PDA

View Full Version : Alaska water

Danburns
06-08-2014, 01:11 PM
I've a new found appreciation for the water here in Anchorage. I just finished my 5th hatching "all natural". Just water, no hydrogen peroxide or anything. For 40+ years I have always added something. Why? Well because I always have,,,,and because as an 8 year old snot-nosed kid I was told I had to. "Gotta keep the eggs from fungusing" was what I was told. Now I've never worried with parent raising cichlids because, well, taking out any bad eggs is their job. Right? And they do a great job for me in that measure.
But now, after all these years, I find that I could have gone to Bora Bora on the money I would have saved by using just water. :cool:

catsma_97504
06-08-2014, 03:29 PM
I know what you mean!! I have either let the parents raise them in their tank with nothing more than water conditioner; or have transferred the eggs into a container with straight tap water. No conditioner. No peroxide. No additives. By the time the eggs hatch the chlorine is gone; and my water is from a local spring most of the year so it is very pure. And, once hatched I then begin daily water changes and start using water conditioner.

The way I look at it.....the chlorine is an additive to municipal water to kill off parasites and bacteria. So, why would I not let it offer the same protection of the eggs for the first 48 hours? This of course only works when pulling eggs. No way would I subject parents to untreated water.

Danburns
06-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I know what you mean!! I have either let the parents raise them in their tank with nothing more than water conditioner; or have transferred the eggs into a container with straight tap water. No conditioner. No peroxide. No additives. By the time the eggs hatch the chlorine is gone; and my water is from a local spring most of the year so it is very pure. And, once hatched I then begin daily water changes and start using water conditioner.

The way I look at it.....the chlorine is an additive to municipal water to kill off parasites and bacteria. So, why would I not let it offer the same protection of the eggs for the first 48 hours? This of course only works when pulling eggs. No way would I subject parents to untreated water.

100% yes indeedy! :D

Mugwump
06-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Yep, it's the best method......works like a charm:D

sheila.toal.6
06-11-2014, 02:11 PM
My first time breeding angels would appreciate any help thanks