PDA

View Full Version : What are some good Human Verification Questions?

catsma_97504
10-08-2014, 09:38 PM
The spammers are in full force trying to gain access to our site due to its very low activity. And I am again needing to change the Human Verification questions. And we cannot use Captcha either as spammers have tools to break the images down through a bot.

So, I am in need of a few more questions I could ask when Human Verification is necessary, such as with Registration. Please do not post the answers, just the questions!!

Mugwump
10-09-2014, 05:16 AM
How many angels in a pair tank?

Vinyl tubing is used to provide what?

Substrate is used to grow what?

AlyeskaGirl
10-09-2014, 07:45 AM
I was wondering when we were going to get hit again. haha

chocolateplaty
10-11-2014, 10:37 AM
The spammers are in full force trying to gain access to our site due to its very low activity. And I am again needing to change the Human Verification questions. And we cannot use Captcha either as spammers have tools to break the images down through a bot.

I have heard that this is a HUGE job to keep spammers out of this site. Thank you Dena for your hard work and efforts staying ahead of them.

catsma_97504
10-11-2014, 10:22 PM
I have heard that this is a HUGE job to keep spammers out of this site. Thank you Dena for your hard work and efforts staying ahead of them.

Yes, it can be a monumental task attempting to stay a step ahead of the spammers.

I have never liked blocking registrations by IP address, but the spammers have figured this out and are submitting non-existing emails which leads to many bounced emails. So, not only do I have to clean up their mess on the forum but I also have to deal with the emails to ensure I catch every one. (Our forum will email new registrants every 14 days to confirm the email address). Anyway, because of their recent activity, I have set our systematic controls to block by both IP and by email address.

If anyone else can think of questions with an obvious answer to those in the hobby yet unknown to the spammers I'd love to see your question!! Seems I have to change the questions every couple of months.

Another "solution" would be to help to get this forum more active. Start a new thread on your own breeding success, on your newly acquired fish or on your struggles to get feedback. Or respond to other, existing threads to share your ideas. This forum could become very busy and that in itself makes the spammers look somewhere else.

Mugwump
10-12-2014, 02:57 AM
Most those 'hits' are 'bots' probing....any question requiring a simple answer thwarts them big time....I've used both 'captcha' and a question...setting it up to ask the question at least three times in succession to newly registered members as they sign in......after signing in three times, it goes away....and 'bots', idiots are gone too.....they never get in the door ;-).......I've found very few 'human' spammers now days..........sites like Google, Facebook, etc...track forums all the time as they get mentioned on social media, etc....they're harmless....actually the more Google hits the better, it gets the Forum name out there with more 'topic' searches available....