PDA

View Full Version : Fry Hatch but then die or get eaten

rb1219
01-15-2015, 02:57 PM
I purchased a known breeding pair from a gentleman who says that they have raised thier own.The first batch got all fungus and died,the next one looked really good, but then were no where in site.This most recent batch seemed to hatch nicely, they were at the bottom of the tank with one or two swimming around the tank.Now they are all gone again.What am I doing wrong?Why arent they hatching and then swimming around in a big group?They look like good parents and I dont think they are eating them,I'm confused.
My setup is a 20 gallon high tank with a sponge filter and heater.I have a breeding slate, breeding cone and a piece of driftwood in there. I use a 3 part tap 1 part RO mix.Any advice will be truly appreciated.

catsma_97504
01-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Are the parents the only ones in the tank? They may feel too cramped. A 20 Tall is barely large enough for the parents. I use 29g tanks for my parent raisers.

Are you doing small daily water changes? Lots of fresh water can improve results. And make sure the substrate/bottom glass is kept clean. Monitor your parameters for stability and very low nitrate; and that the tank is heated to at least 80F.

Sometimes proven parent-raising pairs take time to settle into a new environment. Sounds like each time they are getting further. As with anything worth while......It takes time and patience.

Mugwump
01-16-2015, 01:21 PM
I agree with Dena.....plus it may be just the difference in water between where they were, and your place too....but cleanliness is imperative....no substitute for good clean water...

rb1219
01-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Yes the parents are the only ones in the tank. I do frequent water changes (every other day or so). The parameters are good, heat is at 80.4. When there are fry in there, I try to stay away from where they are when I change the water. I am getting closer, just think I am missing something.

Mugwump
01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
As I read the above, they seem close to getting it back in rhythm....if they lay on the slate, remove the cone...or vice versa...no need to give them too many choices each time....What type of wood?....source?....do you scrub the slate good between spawns, or replace with another clean one??...

rb1219
01-16-2015, 02:45 PM
They usually lay the eggs on the back side of the breeding cone and then the time before this, they moved them sometimes twice a day between the slate,driftwood and cone.This time just between the cone and driftwood. I can probably remove the slate.What is good to clean the slate with(I have one in another tank) The piece of wood I got from angelsplus.com. It was Aquarium-Safe Malaysian Driftwood.

Mugwump
01-16-2015, 03:30 PM
I scrub them down under hot water with a green scrubbie....then rinse in either peroxide, or a very, very mild bleach water solution....rinse well and air dry.......

If they're moving them they seem to be good raisers.....keep bulking them up with a good variety of foods, especially the week before they're due to spawn again..........might think about cleaning that cone in the meantime.....things will work out for you soon....patience just can be a b*****h sometimes......LOL

rb1219
01-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the advice.My other pair just laid eggs in the other tank, they have eaten all the other spawns so I hope they raise this batch of fry.Ill try the peroxide and water on the breeding cone,I removed the slate already.