PDA

View Full Version : Baby Brine Shrimp

rb1219
03-29-2015, 05:26 AM
So just a quick question.I set up a brine shrimp hatchery and after 30 hours or so, I shut off the air pump and let it settle.I took a turkey baster and sucked up the shrimp from the very bottom.I put them into a glass jar and they are all on the bottom.Should they be swimming in the jar or just laying on the bottom like in the hatchery?When I put them into the fish tank to feed my fry, they just sink to the bottom.

Mugwump
03-29-2015, 08:21 AM
So just a quick question.I set up a brine shrimp hatchery and after 30 hours or so, I shut off the air pump and let it settle.I took a turkey baster and sucked up the shrimp from the very bottom.I put them into a glass jar and they are all on the bottom.Should they be swimming in the jar or just laying on the bottom like in the hatchery?When I put them into the fish tank to feed my fry, they just sink to the bottom.

Hold your baster full of eggs up to a light. do you see them swimming now??..did you add a light source next to the vessel to attract them to it??...you should be able to see them mass to it, extract them from this, not the very bottom, they stay up a bit towards the light source.....and yes, they will settle after a bit. they don't stay in the water column continuously swimming....

Did you add non-iodized salt to the egg mixture??....was the bbs rearing jar around 80 deg's??..Where did you get your brine shrimp eggs?...did your eggs have instructions with them??

rb1219
03-29-2015, 08:35 AM
I did not use a light source,so I am assuming that was the problem.I am going to set up a continuous feed hatchery in the tank,how old do the fry have to be to use that?

Mugwump
03-29-2015, 08:47 AM
I did not use a light source,so I am assuming that was the problem.I am going to set up a continuous feed hatchery in the tank,how old do the fry have to be to use that?

I'd wait til free swimming for a good week to make sure that the all are eating well first. Remember that the aggressive fry will get to the bbs from the feeder first, and pig out....I'd do supplement feedings too, so other fry can get fed well too.

rb1219
03-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Ok Thank you.

catsma_97504
03-29-2015, 09:57 AM
Definitely wait. I've had the aggressive fry swim into the continuous hatchery and pig out in the saltwater section....then die from gorging and extended exposure to the high salt content.

rb1219
03-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Ok good to know.

terrapins
04-03-2015, 01:17 PM
Gorging is definitely not a good thing! They'll bust a gut since free swimmers have no "I'm full, thank you" switch - they're piggie-pigs. So far as when to start to feed them? 2 days after you see them first free swim - no more, no less. Sometimes the egg sac isn't completely absorbed and you definitely want that gone by the time you feed or they may ignore the brine shrimp which will then proceed to either rot on the bottom or clog up your filter in no time. As for why they're at the bottom? You either picked up eggs that haven't yet hatched or they're dead. Because of high activity and boatload of shrimp in a small container, it's possible that they ran out of oxygen and asphyxiated. But that only hatches if you hatched much more than say less than a tsp and your container into which you put them is something like a shot glass. Long story short - no, they should not be on the bottom and not moving. Oh and yes, as Dena suggests, need to rinse them.

rb1219
04-03-2015, 01:58 PM
I went out and purchased a lamp light.I made two more batches with different brine shrimp eggs and keep the light on it.Now when I shine a light into the container,I can see them moving around.I only have 20-22 fry swimming around and is very hard to gauge, but they seem to be doing good.I clean out the bottom with a turkey baster every day(sometimes twice).All good so far.What else can I use to clean off the bbs besides a shrimp net?

Danburns
04-03-2015, 02:49 PM
I really like these from Brine shrimp direct. http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c9/Sieve-Artemia-Hatching-p181.html When I bought mine, they were offering a set of 4 in different size mesh. I used the smallest for brine and the largest for sifting crushed flake.

Ah, I found the set,,, http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c9/Sieve-Combo-Set-p205.html

catsma_97504
04-03-2015, 03:54 PM
I use a plastic coffee filter to strain and rinse the BBS before feeding. Also, with so few fry I found it helps to touch the BBS with the tip of the turkey baster. In fact I do this with my spawns the first couple of days. And what adheres to the baster plastic is all I feed to....until the are larger of course. It is always best to under feed as you can easily add another small bit of food.

catsma_97504
04-03-2015, 03:58 PM
This is what I now use for a hatchery.
http://store.everythingaquatic.net/breeding-supplies-c-35/brine-shrimp-hatchery-p-155

Works great and helps to separate the egg shells from the napuli.

Danburns
04-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Another option for feeding (I'm terrible with a turkey baster) are these 1 ml plastic pipettes. I also use them for handling wigglers. They give me great control in both uses.

ziouxpioux
04-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Another option for feeding (I'm terrible with a turkey baster) are these 1 ml plastic pipettes. I also use them for handling wigglers. They give me great control in both uses.

Yes, I found those to be of great value for cleaning up debri. I also learned when placing sucked up water and gunk to do so in a smallish container because sometimes I would get a small fry sucked up too. Then I could just suck that baby up on it's own and put it back into the tank. I have no idea how many fry I tossed before I realized that. :(