PDA

View Full Version : Is Albino co-dominant or recessive??? Confused by albino red-caps

TasV
07-15-2015, 04:19 AM
What is going on here: http://www.premierpet.com.au/ALR100_dash_05/ALBINO-RED-CAP-ANGEL/pd.php

I use to breed a lot of kribensis and know that in Krib albino is not dominant or recessive, but is instead co-dominant. So AA individuals will be wild-type, aa will be full albino but Aa individuals are albino leaking some colour (usually yellow).

The information I have seen so far here indicates that albinism in angels is recessive... so.. is there more than one type of albinism in angels? Is there a co-dominant form as in Krib? If not, how does one explain the above albino redcaps?

Damonc
07-15-2015, 01:07 PM
The current recognized form of Albino in angelfish is recessive. I do not have an answer for you in regards to a new type of albino, coud be, the only way to know would be to do a cross. My expertise is in Angelfish but I know in other species like guppies and swordtails they have breed those albinos to show a lot of color.

Albino
10-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Co-dominant implying that the species expresses both alleles of a trait. As far as I know, albino isn't a co-dominant trait, but a recessive trait. A cat with a co-dominant trait expresses both white and black. A red and a white flower produces a pink flower is an example of incomplete dominant.

Lower case letters are usually used for recessive alleles, and uppercase letters are usually used for dominant alleles. In case of albino, it's aa.

Generally, aa = albino, aA= albino intermediate, and AA means not albino. Albino intermediates usually do not express the phenotype because it is suppressed. However, albino intermediates can produce offspring that carry two albino alleles and the phenotype is expressed. Say you breed an albino silver with a regular silver, basic Mendelian genetics predict that you will have 100% offsprings carrying one albino allele (albino intermediate), but none will express albino phenotype. Most common phenotype we look at in fish is the red eyes and the lack of melanin production. Expressions of a genotype (phenotype) can also be influenced by environmental factors.