PDA

View Full Version : Translucent scales ?..or no scales on pariabas?

Mugwump
07-25-2015, 06:30 PM
An interesting question. I believe there are scales, even tho the appearance would seem otherwise.......thoughts anyone?

Danburns
07-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Given that scales are cichlids first line of defense and the lack of them would be problematic to say the least, I would be utterly blown away to find them lacking.

Additionally, it would seem that Norton would have covered the fact in her studies of the Stripless gene if the scales were to disappear in double dose. I've heard of no effect of Philippine Blue on the scales, other than the color of them.

I agree with Jon, there are scales but translucent. Anyone with a different perspective? I'm not adverse to being corrected,,, really. :)

Mugwump
07-26-2015, 04:06 AM
Given that scales are cichlids first line of defense and the lack of them would be problematic to say the least, I would be utterly blown away to find them lacking.

Additionally, it would seem that Norton would have covered the fact in her studies of the Stripless gene if the scales were to disappear in double dose. I've heard of no effect of Philippine Blue on the scales, other than the color of them.

I agree with Jon, there are scales but translucent. Anyone with a different perspective? I'm not adverse to being corrected,,, really. :)

Good point about Norton not bringing it up. Surely it would have been one of the things that she would have elaborated on......

TasV
07-26-2015, 05:00 AM
LOL! I knew this would end up here! There are scales... They are translucent as you say.

Mugwump
07-26-2015, 07:34 AM
LOL! I knew this would end up here! There are scales... They are translucent as you say.

:cool:......It's sometimes hard to explain the obvious to folks tho......

Danburns
07-26-2015, 08:47 AM
:cool:......It's sometimes hard to explain the obvious to folks tho......

Very true. I tried to be a little diplomatic at the start, I've seen the poster state wrong/misleading information before, but when they stated their point as "fact" I couldn't let it drop without challenge. I generally come away as looking like the bad guy, but I would prefer that to allowing someone to send folks down a rocky path. Hopefully I left the readers with reasonable doubt concerning the posters supposed "facts".

catsma_97504
07-26-2015, 01:28 PM
I too saw that discussion. Angelfish are not scaleless. It amazes me the assumptions people make and present as fact.

Danburns
07-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Angelfish are not scaleless.

Yep, I knew all along that they were not. The poster simply will not admit to being wrong, seen it on several occasions. Some people are beyond help, too much ego or whatever. I just hope that most readers went away knowing the real facts.