PDA

View Full Version : Discus and Angelfish Competition

catsma_97504
01-20-2016, 12:17 AM
The following announcement was posted on Facebook earlier tonight to announce a photo competition featuring both discus and angelfish.

The Angelfish Society in conjunction with Discus Elite are hosting a one of a kind competition! This competition is open to our members as well as the public and will feature both discus and angelfish.

We are pulling together a distinguished panel of acclaimed international judges, each having been recognized for their own efforts in breeding and/or competition. Winners are the final decision of our esteemed judging panel which will comprise at least 4 members specializing in discus or angelfish.

Once the classes are finalized contest folders will be set up in the TAS Photo Gallery. In order to submit photos, each must be registered on the TAS website as a guest or a member. Further, each guest must have posted on the TAS forum; or contacted the moderators to manually allow image posting. This is an unfortunate step required to filter out spammers. All questions and concerns should be directed to John Ryan of Discus Elite or myself.

We encourage everyone to register on both the TAS Forums and on the Discus Elite websites. All announcements and notices will be posted on both sites linked below.

Let's make this a fun and exciting contest!

http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/forum
http://forum.discuselite.com

Mugwump
01-20-2016, 06:00 AM
Excellent !!........come on gang, let's support this and enter some pictures of your Angels....who knows?...you may have a real jewel in your tank....give it a try....enter....

onetoomany
01-20-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm excited.

Pterophyllum
02-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Any news on progress of this?

catsma_97504
02-24-2016, 12:26 AM
Unfortunately those working on finding sponsors are not having much luck. I may try to put together a page on our site to sell sponsorships as a backup. And use any raised funds for prizes.

Pterophyllum
02-24-2016, 02:31 AM
Oh well, good luck in coming up with something, to be honest I'd be happy to enter simply for the chance of hopefully winning a nice certificate!

terrapins
02-25-2016, 10:08 AM
If rewards are the issue, think small - ask donations from each side; unless you've already contemplated that.

BTW, I think it's a very creative idea, Dena!

catsma_97504
03-04-2016, 03:29 PM
OK, here's where we stand today..........

Still no corporate sponsor. Therefore, we will come up with a certificate we can email to each winner plus a $10 gift certificate from The Angelfish Society to your fish supply store of choice so long as they have gift certificates available. For those outside of the USA, your gift certificate would be converted to your local currency.

We will continue to seek corporate sponsorship. And if one is secured we will let everyone know!

I am going to set up the competition folders and we will begin accepting photographs through the end of April. On May 1, 2016 it will be handed over to the judges who will make their decision and announce the winner.

Here are the guidelines and rules for submitting photos to this competition:

* This competition is open to the public

* In order to submit photos you need to have registered and are logged into The Angelfish Society’s Photo Gallery or Forum (same login credentials)

* Photos may be cropped and resized, however, no color manipulation is allowed

* Every attempt to capture the entire fish in the photo should be made

* Attempt to have a single fish in the photo

* Do not submit multiple photos of the same fish in the same class, including both sides of one specimen

* When submitting angelfish please follow the Conformation Standards Guide linked on our website at http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/forum/content.php/41-Conformation-Standards
(http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/forum/content.php/41-Conformation-Standards)
* Do not reuse a photo that has won a past competition

* Submitted photos should not have a watermark or visible print. Such photos will be deleted without notice

* Photos should be less than 2MB in overall size and both height and width should be 4000 pixels or less. If your photo doesn’t upload this is the cause

If there are any questions please ask.

Best of luck to everyone who enters our one of a kind competition!!!!!

Competition folders are found at http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=520

Pterophyllum
03-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Is there any limit as to how many photos an individual can enter, either into one particular category or overall?
Will entries be judged on the basis of the quality of the fish, or the quality of the photo, or both?

catsma_97504
03-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Is there any limit as to how many photos an individual can enter, either into one particular category or overall?
Will entries be judged on the basis of the quality of the fish, or the quality of the photo, or both?

No limit to how many photos can be submitted by a single person. The only limit is one image per individual fish.

Entries will be judged on the quality of the fish itself as much as possible.

Pterophyllum
03-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Sorry to keep asking questions, but.....

Is there a hierarchy to the categories, or can fish be entered in either, both or all categories for which they qualify? And if so, can the same photo be entered in multiple categories.

For example, an albino blue marble might be entered in class 3 Gold & Marble class 5 Albino or class 7 Blue and Green.

Or am I overthinking this, do I just enter a photo in the category in which I think it belongs, and leave it to the judges/competition organiser to move it to a more appropriate section as they see fit?

catsma_97504
03-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Yes you can enter the same fish/photo in multiple categories if it qualifies.

You may be overthinking this a bit. The classes are for the phenotype, but it appears you are thinking genotype. Based on the appearance of the example fish, Albino Blue Marble, what does the eye see? Just albino? Is there visible marbling on the fish? Is it obviously blue?

The judges may move a photo to a different category if they feel it is a more appropriate choice.

No need to apologize for asking questions :) Others may have the same questions but are not asking.

Pterophyllum
03-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I don't actually have any albino blue marbles, I was just using that as an example, but to answer your question, there is usually obvious marbling on an albino marble, and blue albinos are noticeably different from ordinary albinos. Although I'd agree that the logical category for them is albino. I do however have blue marbles, & blue smokeys which would sit happily in more than one category. Indeed I have a couple of Chocolate blue marbles, which sort of sit in 3!....
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc464/Pscalare/IMG_8117_zpsdeadjulg.jpg

or how about a Smokey paraiba blue koi?.....
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc464/Pscalare/IMG_4560_zps2ny5q5pq.jpg

Although I won't be entering either of the above photos as they're too old, I'd rather take some current ones.

catsma_97504
03-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Just use your best judgement on the classes. If the judges disagree they will move them.

Pterophyllum
03-08-2016, 02:53 AM
Will do, just need to get the camera out & start shooting

sky8416145
03-08-2016, 06:17 PM
are these photos aloud to be already published

sky8416145
03-09-2016, 07:00 PM
why havent my photos been approved???

catsma_97504
03-09-2016, 07:54 PM
are these photos aloud to be already published

If by published you mean posted/shared by you, you can use in this competition. If you mean actually published in an actual publication, it will be disqualified.

why havent my photos been approved???

Because a Moderator hasn't logged in to review your photos as yet. It will be approved as soon as possible.

catsma_97504
03-17-2016, 12:44 PM
There is still plenty of time to submit your photos! We have a few submissions already and are looking forward to seeing many more beauties :)

Pterophyllum
03-18-2016, 06:23 PM
I'll be submitting more, just as soon as I've trained them to pose for the camera!

makellr
03-24-2016, 07:15 AM
I do not have permission to post images, so I posted a link to the image in the image gallery. I wonder fi this is where the viewing problem originated?

LizStreithorst
03-29-2016, 02:10 PM
So many classes and so few entries. Common folks, a competition is only fun it there is good competition.

catsma_97504
03-30-2016, 01:10 PM
I completely agree Liz!! Need more entries to make this a great contest. Hopefully others are taking their time and will be posting photos soon.

Pterophyllum
03-30-2016, 02:04 PM
i was going to enter a couple more, but having entered 13 of the 27 entries so far I'm waiting until more join in.

catsma_97504
04-02-2016, 09:08 PM
I know the feeling. Wasn't planning on entering since I've been posting all the announcements. But as I am not judging anything I just may....

LizStreithorst
04-03-2016, 02:00 PM
I thought that the end date for posting a pic for judging was April first? You should have entered before the dead line, but you didn't. I would very much like to see what the judges choose. I would also like to know who the judges are. Next time y'all do this you should have fewer classes. We have not had near enough entries to fill the classes.

catsma_97504
04-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Photos can be submitted through the end of April. I will try to get info on the judges.

catsma_97504
04-07-2016, 01:09 PM
OK everyone....where are those photos??? It isn't too late to submit your photos in our competition!!

Photos will be accepted through the end of April. Show off your angels and discus and you may be rewarded :)

catsma_97504
04-13-2016, 05:43 PM
The judging line up is as follows (subject to change):

Discus Judges
Kuo-yun Kuan
Cuynet Birol
Tony Tan
Jeffrey Tan

Angelfish Judges
Ihsan Surer
David Labell
Tony Vaughan

catsma_97504
04-23-2016, 12:19 PM
Just one week left to submit your angelfish and discus photos to the competition. If you haven't already, please submit your photos for a chance at being recognized and winning its given class.

Pterophyllum
04-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Just managed to drop my flash gun into one of my tanks, having used a hair dyer to dry it out, it's now sat in a bag of rice to try and draw out any residual moisture. Here's hoping it works, or there will be no more entries from me!

catsma_97504
04-25-2016, 02:09 PM
Just managed to drop my flash gun into one of my tanks, having used a hair dyer to dry it out, it's now sat in a bag of rice to try and draw out any residual moisture. Here's hoping it works, or there will be no more entries from me!

Hoped that works!

blackhawk
04-25-2016, 04:53 PM
So where do I place my Koi?

catsma_97504
04-26-2016, 01:35 AM
So where do I place my Koi?

Gold Marble class?

Pterophyllum
04-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Hoped that works!
Looks like it might have done, fingers & toes crossed

blackhawk
04-28-2016, 11:10 PM
Gold Marble class?

Thank you

catsma_97504
05-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I am being asked when voting starts on the competition.

Everything was handed over to the judges on May 1st; and we are waiting on their final decisions. Once the judges have made their decisions we will announce the winners of each class.

Thank you for your patience.