• catsma_97504

by Published on 01-03-2016 10:34 PM  Number of Views: 2798 

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and was able to spend time with friends and family. Here in the Pacific Northwest, the weather made it impossible to get together. In fact, as I write this it has been ...
    Published on 07-10-2015 01:55 PM

We are happy to announce that we will be hosting our own booth at this year's Aquatic Experience - Chicago event held the first weekend in November, 6-8. The show is the first in industry history to combine everything aquatic under one roof, from saltwater and freshwater to pond and plant. This event is held at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center. Tickets are available to purchase at http://aquaticexperience.org/tickets/.

Hope to see you there!
    by Published on 07-07-2015 02:11 PM  Number of Views: 3680 

Time has been flying by so quickly that I am having a hard time keeping up with everything. Just realized that I haven't posted anything for a couple of months now.

Don't know about anyone else but the heat this summer has been close to unbearable. In the Pacific Northwest we have seen temperatures soar up to 110F just in June, making it the hottest June on record since the early 1900s. And as July/August are typically our hottest months of the year, I for one am not looking forward to dealing with this heat for this long. But, like it or not, it is summertime and must take what mother nature deals us.

While on the subject of this heatwave, I thought I'd take this opportunity to remind everyone to keep an eye on their aquariums during the summer for overheating. I have lost more fish than I can name off from this heat and have even had my 55g tanks overheat (first time ever)! Here is a short list of some of the tricks I use that might be helpful to others should you find yourselves in this position:

• Unplug the heaters. A quality heater will not run while a tank is overheating; however, if one has a faulty sensor no point in risking cooking the fish.
    • Leave the lights off during the hotter parts of the day. In fact, only my planted tanks get any lighting during a heatwave and only during the early morning hours or the evening hours. You'd be surprised how much heat is added to a tank just from the lighting!
    • Remove the glass lids, replace with open egg crate or other hard plastic grating if worried about jumpers. By taking this step tanks can cool down several degrees. My 55g dropped 5 degrees by removing the glass toppers. The only downside is that evaporation will greatly increase. So, keep those tanks topped off and use cooler water to lower the tank temperatures.
    • Run fans in the room and even position them to blow air across the water surface to help dissipate heat.
    • Fill plastic bottles with water and freeze them. Float them in a tank to help cool it down. The bottles will float and will not affect water chemistry. Simply remove, rinse off the outside and refreeze for the next time.
    • Small daily water changes to help cool down a tank really helps to perk up fish an give them some relief from the heat. Right after the cool water change my fish become more active, coloring improves and they are interested in food. So, this is when I feed them. Otherwise, the food goes uneaten and can end up with an ammonia issue. Just like with us humans, we lose interest in foods and eat much less, so be careful when feeding.
    • Don't forget that warmer water holds less oxygen. Therefore, it is even more critical to make sure there is plenty of surface disturbance for oxygen exchange. Even go so far as to lower the water level an inch or two can go a long way to improve oxygen levels in the water column. If your tank is planted and you are injecting CO2, obviously surface disturbance will gas off the CO2, but you can still monitor the tank closely for sufficient oxygen levels. If you see your plants pearling that is a great sign that there is plenty of oxygen.

Hopefully some of the above bag of tricks will help you and your wet fins survive the next (or current) heatwave!

The end of this month is the ACA Show in Massachusetts. This year's show will be very educational with all the speakers on the agenda. The Angelfish Society once again will have a presence at the convention! We are looking forward to reconnecting with past friends and making new ones. Drop by and say hello and don't forget to check out the angelfish that have been entered into the show. There are sure to be some real stunning fish on display at the convention this year!

We are currently in communication with the Aquatic Experience group. Still working out details, however, we hope to have a booth at this year's show, held in Chicago the first weekend in November. We are looking forward to building a new relationship with this group! So, keep your eye out for announcements as plans are finalized!

And keep your eyes out for an announcement regarding the first TAS Auction! Our Board of Officers and Directors are still working out the details; but it should be a great opportunity to purchase quality angelfish and the supplies that are made available.

Don't forget our General Membership meetings are held the 3rd Thursday of each month at 9 PM EDT / 6 PM PDT. Take an hour break and join us. Our meetings include a presentation or an open discussion on a given topic; and door prizes for those in attendance. Help us plan our first auction! If you are not a member, please join us as my guest. Simply click the CHAT tab at the top of this page, enter your name into the Username field and leave the Moderator Password field blank. Our next meeting will be held on July 16th. Hope to see you there!!
    by Published on 04-28-2015 03:21 PM  Number of Views: 3610 

Hopefully Spring has arrived to everyone living in the northern hemisphere. It has been a very rough year weather-wise. I know for me in the Pacific Northwest, Spring ...
    Published on 03-05-2015 11:48 PM  Number of Views: 6625 

In partnership with the American Cichlid Association, The Angelfish Society is pleased to announce we will be holding an angelfish show within the ACA Convention this July/August.

To participate in the convention and/or to enter your own fish, you must register on the ACA Convention 2015 website at http://www.acaconvention2015.com/registration.html. By registering for the show you can also participate in our Angelfish judging. Members of The Angelfish Society can participate at no additional charge. Non-members have the option to become a Full or Business Member or pay a $10 fee at our table during the convention to participate in our angelfish classes.

There are a wide number of speakers at this year's convention. It is sure to be a very educational event!!

Become a sponsor of the TAS-ACA Angelfish Show:

Each sponsor will receive recognition for their sponsorship with their banner displayed on this page as well as given an opportunity to share their business materials on our table during the convention.

Best of Show - $100
    Dan Burns
    Reserve Best of Show - $75
    Carol Gilreath

Class 1 - Wild and Domestic Silver Types - $30 Dino Hicks

Class 2 - Single Locus Types - $30 Juan Damelines

Class 3 - Multi-Locus or Co-Dominant Types - $30
    Robert Jacobson

Class 4 - Blue Types - $30
    Willie Santiago

by Published on 03-03-2015 03:53 PM  Number of Views: 3630 

My how time is flying by! I can't believe it is March already. Many of our members are still buried under several feet of snow, but hopefully with Spring around the corner things will begin to improve and warm up.

Our greatest accomplishment over the past couple ...
    Published on 01-17-2015 10:02 PM  Number of Views: 13264 

The Angelfish Society is proud to provide our own genetics calculator. We encourage our members to become familiar with the recognized genetic naming conventions as our members are expected to follow these guidelines when selling and discussing angelfish.

If you should have any questions about displayed information in our genetics calculator, please notify us. We welcome questions as this is how we can improve our information and our tools provided to our membership.

Please note that if using a majority of the known loci in a cross that the calculator must determine all the possible crosses and calculate the expected percentages of each type in the offspring. This can take a few minutes to run all the calculations. Please be patient!

If asked to log in and validate your credentials when accessing the calculator please use your Membership ID and password.

Angelfish Genetics Calculator: http://calculator.theangelfishsociety.org
    Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  • Sponsors