Thread: When is an Ozone Generator Needed?

When is an Ozone Generator Needed?

We are building a small aquarium for the kids. We are thinking about creating a freshwater one with some angel fish most likely and then a separate marine tank as it will be good to educate the kids on the different environments they require to survive. I'm a little confused as to what equipment we'll need to create the best possible environment for the fish. From what I gather, if you buy the right plants for a fresh water tank, they should naturally help to filter the water and you don't need a UV or ozone generator to help with sterilization. Fresh water tanks however, may require a sterilization system. Apparently too, certain fish would feed off algae in the tank so if that's the case, you wouldn't need a filter as the fish will do it for you. These are just things I've been told or have read so forgive me if none of that's actually true. I'm just after some guidance so would appreciate if anyone can tell me what kind of kit we should be looking at for the both types of aquarium . We want to give the fish the best chance of a healthy life.

In order to get away with no filtration you'd need a decent sized tank, heavily planted, and only a couple of fish. As most who keep aquariums would prefer to stock more heavily a filtration system will be needed. Filtration does more than remove debris and process waste once the nitrifying bacteria colony has built up, but it also helps to circulate the water to keep it rich in nutrients and not stagnate.

UV is not required in a freshwater tank. It can be used to help reduce algae in addition to eradicating parasites, fungus and certain forms of bacteria that are suspended in the water. Further, UV in a planted tank is not recommended as the UV will destroy or alter the plant nutrients and can lead to deficiencies if used constantly.

You mentioned setting up a small tank. Not sure how small you are considering, but angelfish need at minimum a 20 gallon tall tank (75 liter) to house just 1 angelfish.

Sounds like a great project to teach your kids the difference between living environments.

Quote Originally Posted by wriggleoff View Post
    We are building a small aquarium for the kids. We are thinking about creating a freshwater one with some angel fish most likely and then a separate marine tank as it will be good to educate the kids on the different environments they require to survive. I'm a little confused as to what equipment we'll need to create the best possible environment for the fish. From what I gather, if you buy the right plants for a fresh water tank, they should naturally help to filter the water and you don't need a UV filter or ozone generator to help with sterilization. Fresh water tanks however, may require a sterilization system. Apparently too, certain fish would feed off algae in the tank so if that's the case, you wouldn't need a filter as the fish will do it for you. These are just things I've been told or have read so forgive me if none of that's actually true. I'm just after some guidance so would appreciate if anyone can tell me what kind of kit there is for sale that we should be looking at for the both types of aquarium. We want to give the fish the best chance of a healthy life.
    I'm not entirely sure how small or big the freshwater tank would be. I suppose initially the intention was to do two small tanks but things could evolve. We could just do one nice and large tank instead but I am quite keen on showing the kids the different environments. 75 litres does sound quite a lot if that's the size you need for just one Angel fish. Might have to forget the Angel fish but that would be a big shame. I don't want to house something though in a tank that's too small.
    Last edited by wriggleoff; 04-27-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
    In order to get away with no filtration you'd need a decent sized tank, heavily planted, and only a couple of fish. As most who keep aquariums would prefer to stock more heavily a filtration system will be needed. Filtration does more than remove debris and process waste once the nitrifying bacteria colony has built up, but it also helps to circulate the water to keep it rich in nutrients and not stagnate.

UV is not required in a freshwater tank. It can be used to help reduce algae in addition to eradicating parasites, fungus and certain forms of bacteria that are suspended in the water. Further, UV in a planted tank is not recommended as the UV will destroy or alter the plant nutrients and can lead to deficiencies if used constantly.

You mentioned setting up a small tank. Not sure how small you are considering, but angelfish need at minimum a 20 gallon tall tank (75 liter) to house just 1 angelfish.

Sounds like a great project to teach your kids the difference between living environments.
    Thanks for the response. What kind of fresh water fish would you recommend if we weren't to get Angel Fish and had to settle with a slightly smaller tank? I'm not really sure how big a 75 litre/20 gallon tank looks up close but it sounds maybe a little bit too big. I've just checked what kind of measurements that would be and its probably a little big if we were to have two. It sounds like the 15 gallon might be ok though.
    Last edited by wriggleoff; 04-27-2016 at 06:59 AM.

With a 15 gallon sized tank you will be greatly limited, especially if planting it as there would be very little swim space. One option you may find interesting might be to select one type of neocaridina shrimp, such as Red Cherry Shrimp. They will multiply and are fairly active when no predators exist.

Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
    With a 15 gallon sized tank you will be greatly limited, especially if planting it as there would be very little swim space. One option you may find interesting might be to select one type of neocaridina shrimp, such as Red Cherry Shrimp. They will multiply and are fairly active when no predators exist.
    OK, that could be something to explore, they would keep the kids entertained.

I have a 55 RC tank and kids love it....tons of shrimp...lots of action...heavily planted so there is always something for the eyes to discover.
    I have a 29 blue dream tank as well....
    Brad Sherwood
    North Dakota, USA