Thread: DD Black / Bulgarian Green Outcross

DD Black / Bulgarian Green Outcross

As part of the gene study I have paired a DD Black Pearlscale with a Manacapuru Bulgarian Green angelfish. While I expected typical Black Lace, this is not the case. The fish are approaching quarter sized and the bodies are taking on a bit of a green tone.

Genetically the offspring are believed to be D/+ +/p +/bg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-06-09 17.44.27.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	361

Name:	2016-06-09 17.43.56.jpg 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	362

Name:	2016-06-09 17.43.31.jpg 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	363

This last one is with flash as it brings out the green tones that are developing.....similar to pb.

Name:	2016-06-09 17.42.39.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	364

Hi Catsma, do you have photos of the parents used to produce these youngsters?
    I can't really see the green tone that you describe from the photos, but having carried out a similar cross where the resulting offspring were all D/+* - pb/pb - +/bg, I know these fish have a distinct sheen and are noticeably different from other pinoys that I've bred. The fish that was voted grand champion in the recent photo competion is one of them :-

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	365

* Note, I'm pretty confident that all survivors from this batch (3 in total) are D/+ but there is a theoretical possibility that some may be D/g
    Blessed are the cheesemakers!

Can't get a decent photo as the adult pair is in an unlit tank.....but here is the best shots I could get of them.

The male is the DD Black Pearlscale. He has bred with other fish and is definitely DD.

Female is one of Raiko's fish. One of the Manacapuru Bulgarian Green crosses he first shipped over to the USA.

Name:	2016-06-13 18.17.46.jpg 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	366

Name:	2016-06-13 18.20.33.jpg 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	368

Name:	2016-06-13 18.16.36.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	367

Thanks for trying. I've a lot going on at the moment, will try to come back to this when things calm down.

Rob

What I'm puzzled by is the banding on your Bulgarian green female.
    Certainly your male looks like a D/D, and I note your comment :-
    He has bred with other fish and is definitely DD.
    Certainly the offspring look like Black lace (D/+)
    Which would suggest that the female is either +/+ or D/+
    Yet the female is showing clear banding. From the bg fish that I have, my working assumption is that fish that are D/+ - bg/bg look rather like the "classic" seal points, but with less dark dorsals. That fish that are D/D - bg/bg are grey/brown or bronze with obvious banding, and that fish that are +/+ - bg/bg look rather like platinums, with no obvious banding. It looks like the picture is more complicated than I thought.

Yeah that has been a puzzler. She has also bred with a Blue Bulgarian Green. Definitely not Dark gene.