Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Not eating and white poop

  1. #1

    Not eating and white poop

    Hey 5 of my newest angels that i got have been fine for first 3 weeks but in the recent week 2-3 of them have stopped eating and have white stringy poop and have become alot more inactive than normal but not overly inactive. So Im guessing its some sort of internal parasite???????

    Here in New Zealand i am unable to get medicated foods for internal parasite/bacteria (not that they would eat it at this stage anyway) so what are some opinions on how i could cure this??

    I know im going to get asked for my water parameters, but the only test kit i can find at the moment is a ph test kit, but i would find it unlikely? that the water has spiked as all other fish in the tank are fine. its just my young 5 Black lace young that have this disease??? (black lace are quite rare in new zealand so would hate to lose them)

    Last edited by catsma_97504; 08-11-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Changed font color to default to work with all templates

  2. #2

    With no medication options my only suggestion would be to try Epsom Salt. I use 1 tablespoon Epsom Salt to 5 gallons of water; but can be increased to 1 tablespoon per gallon if needed. Once you get enough salt in the water the high magnesium level will cause the fish to purge their gut and hopefully expel the parasites. Follow this up with deep gravel cleanings every 2-3 days to manually remove the unseen parasites before they have a chance to begin reproducing.

    You may even be able to purchase an anti-parasitic drug through a local farm store. It simply will not be marketed for fish. Levamisole and metronidazole are the most often used drugs, but can't say for sure if they would be available in your area.

    Good luck. Hope you find something that will save your fish.

  3. #3
    Hope you are able to get this worked out!

  4. #4
    thank you ill have to give this a try, Have you personally ever had much success with this method for the same or similar issues?

  5. #5
    Epsom salt does work, but it's best to feed it to them. Make a 3% solution which is roughly 3tbs per 16oz of water. Soak food in it or use a pipette to force feed them. It doesn't take much but do this one a day for 5 to 10 days and make sure your doing large water changes to remove the culprit. Just some info that was given to me when metro and prazi didn't work for me. 3 days and they were eating again. Still using this method.

  6. #6
    I hope you were able to get a handle on this.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts