Thread: Bulgarian Seal Points

Bulgarian Seal Points

Hello all. I have a bunch of Bulgarian Seal Points. I was told these fish are D/g = pb/pb - bg/bg. Unfortunately the ones I have all seem to be males so I will have to breed them to something else and do a sibling cross to get back to more Seal Points. What would be the best way to go? I don't have any wilds. I do have Platinums, Blue Silvers and Ghosts, Zebras, Hybrid (D/g) Blacks, Golds and Blushers. I am thinking of mating some to the hybrid Blacks to get 50% hybrid Blacks all Het for Bulgarian Green. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate any comments.

Based on my understanding......to get to a true BSP you need at least one Dark gene paired with a Gold Marble or a Gold gene plus 2 copies of the new bg gene. There are multiple options to work back to BSP however you can also add genes to develop your own line, if interested.

Currently I am crossing a Bulgarian Green (bg/bg) with a DD Black (D/D p/p). First generation is a Black Lace that carries a single copy of bg and p. And hope to have a few true BSP in the next generation.

As we do not yet have documented evidence regarding how the new bg gene acts, we are currently working off many assumptions. When you do breed your fish, do keep track of your crosses and of the resultant offspring. It will help all of us to understand this new development in the angelfish world.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply.

I have hybrid blacks D/g - pb/+ that I will try. That should give me some Hybrid Blacks and some Double Darks with one dose of the Bulgarian Green gene. The next generation should get me back to the Seal Points. I have some veils too, might try to get that gene into the line.

Now all I have to do is wait for them to get friendly and start breeding. I will keep records of whatever happens if that will help figure out the gene. I know what a hassle the Philippine Blue gene was to get documented.

Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
    Based on my understanding......to get to a true BSP you need at least one Dark gene paired with a Gold Marble or a Gold gene plus 2 copies of the new bg gene. There are multiple options to work back to BSP however you can also add genes to develop your own line, if interested.

Currently I am crossing a Bulgarian Green (bg/bg) with a DD Black (D/D p/p). First generation is a Black Lace that carries a single copy of bg and p. And hope to have a few true BSP in the next generation.

As we do not yet have documented evidence regarding how the new bg gene acts, we are currently working off many assumptions. When you do breed your fish, do keep track of your crosses and of the resultant offspring. It will help all of us to understand this new development in the angelfish world.

Good luck
    What concern do you have, if any, that the p/p or p/+ might give you some deleterious stock...like what shows up with some plat lines.....D/D is hard enough to raise, let alone D/D p/p....or have had a past good spawn from this angel..??....
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    What concern do you have, if any, that the p/p or p/+ might give you some deleterious stock...like what shows up with some plat lines.....D/D is hard enough to raise, let alone D/D p/p....or have had a past good spawn from this angel..??....
    None really. The DD was my only DD adult male. The fact that Pearlscale is being added to the mix was irrelevant to my need to add the Dark gene to produce the coveted BSP. Besides I could always filter out the Pearlscale down the line if it becomes an issue.

FYI - I now have additional DD angels to toss into this mix. There is one Veil which I am looking forward to pairing off.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk