Thread: Development of Albino Fry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Development of Albino Fry

Quick question to anyone with experience of raising albino fry.

In general I like to let my fish parent raise, but albinos seem to struggle with this presumably because their eye sight isn't as good as non albinos. Because of this I pinched a recent spawn from an albino pair and hatched them out in a 10 litre (roughly 2.5 US gallon) tank. I usually run my tanks at about 80-82of but this hatching tank came with a mini heater preset to 75of. I would expect the lower temperature to have an impact on how fast they develop, but have still been surprised by just how slowly they have...
    eggs were laid on 21st November, they hatched on 24th November and the youngsters started going free swimming today 2nd December, even now most are yet to fully lift off!

Are albinos slower to hatch/free swim than other varieties or is the delay entirely down to the lower temperature?
    Blessed are the cheesemakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pterophyllum View Post
    Quick question to anyone with experience of raising albino fry.

In general I like to let my fish parent raise, but albinos seem to struggle with this presumably because their eye sight isn't as good as non albinos. Because of this I pinched a recent spawn from an albino pair and hatched them out in a 10 litre (roughly 2.5 US gallon) tank. I usually run my tanks at about 80-82of but this hatching tank came with a mini heater preset to 75of. I would expect the lower temperature to have an impact on how fast they develop, but have still been surprised by just how slowly they have...
    eggs were laid on 21st November, they hatched on 24th November and the youngsters started going free swimming today 2nd December, even now most are yet to fully lift off!

Are albinos slower to hatch/free swim than other varieties or is the delay entirely down to the lower temperature?
    I think both apply....they are slow developing at first because of sparse food intake because of vision issues, and the lower hatching temps don't help either....

I've always raised the albinos in virtually no light....and it does seem to help a lot with the batch survival....as they grow, I introduce more light ...
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Hi Rob.
    My albinos hatched at a normal rate.
    And didn't notice any difference in them being able to free swim ,other then them not actually TRYING to swim early on, but rather hugging the bottom which they love to do.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ghonk View Post
    Hi Rob.
    My albinos hatched at a normal rate.
    And didn't notice any difference in them being able to free swim ,other then them not actually TRYING to swim early on, but rather hugging the bottom which they love to do.

Greg
    ...was this your Dantums, Greg?
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    ...was this your Dantums, Greg?
    Yes,i raised a FEW non dantum albinos also,best as I can remember is was the same,but it has been many years now on the non dantums.
    Last edited by ghonk; 12-19-2018 at 11:47 PM.