Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by rb1219 View Post
    Two questions, First if I take the eggs and try to artificially raise them, what is the success rate?
    The answer to your first question is highly variable, age of the pair, experience of the aquarist, water quality, conditioning of the pair, etc., etc. lot of factors to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    The answer to your first question is highly variable, age of the pair, experience of the aquarist, water quality, conditioning of the pair, etc., etc. lot of factors to consider.

but all in all, keep the fry water pristine and your success is much greater.....
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Nothing better than good, clean water if you are a fish! Ah, refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    Nothing better than good, clean water if you are a fish! Ah, refreshing!
    Yeppers.........
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

ok so I moved my breeding pair to a 20 gallon high tank.They laid the eggs on the slate I put in there.(sponge filter now).Most turned white, but I see they moved 6 down a little lower on the slate.I am keeping an eye on them.
    So if they are turning white,would I have a better chance taking them out when first laid to artificially raise them, or would they still turn white.

Also, I just purchased another beautiful mated pair.I got them home Sunday, they perked up nice in the tank, but not eating.I tried flakes and live worms.Tomorrow makes 6 days, how can I get them to eat? I am doing water changes everyday to get the uneaten food off the bottom of the tank. ANy suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by rb1219 View Post
    ok so I moved my breeding pair to a 20 gallon high tank.They laid the eggs on the slate I put in there.(sponge filter now).Most turned white, but I see they moved 6 down a little lower on the slate.I am keeping an eye on them.
    So if they are turning white,would I have a better chance taking them out when first laid to artificially raise them, or would they still turn white.

Also, I just purchased another beautiful mated pair.I got them home Sunday, they perked up nice in the tank, but not eating.I tried flakes and live worms.Tomorrow makes 6 days, how can I get them to eat? I am doing water changes everyday to get the uneaten food off the bottom of the tank. ANy suggestions?
    No matter what you do to encourage the pair to lay eggs in an appropriate area, they lay where they decide to. For instance, the corner of a tank, kind of hard to remove that. As for turning white if you remove the eggs, Methylene Blue added to the hatching container will usually stop the fungus. If any eggs are not fertile, they still might turn white or just "melt" away. All you can do is try and see what happens. Have fun it is a learning curve and in order to learn a person must try.

My angels have eaten four spawns already.If I remove the next spawn and try to artificially hatch them, will the parents spawn again in the same spawning cycle as before?

They should, but a few pairs get stubborn......most of mine just keep on 'truck'n'....the others may miss a a day .or so...
    Jon
    - Douglas Adams

Well I decided to leave them and once again they ate them.Oh well, we will see about the next batch. Thanks for the replies.

My other pair just laid a bunch of eggs, it looks like they are starting to wiggle.They are starting to fall off the slate and Momma picks them up and puts them back on.Will they all of a sudden all start swimming?Looks like a good batch, no white ones.