Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Eggs

Well since my Discus aren't laying for me.......everything else is. Got a huge batch of GBR eggs and tonight my Altum crosses started. I think it might be time to ship them all to a bigger home and break the pair down to a breeding tank. Here's a couple of pics.

Beautiful angels.

Very nice Angels you have there.

Gorgeous Angels We have angles that have breed several times (we have at least two mated pairs). They lay lots of eggs on driftwood, just like in your picture. Some of the eggs turn white and some not. I have seen several youtube videos on Angels that say the white ones are "bad' and you have to pick them off or the others will turn bad. But in your picture most of yours look white. Can you help??? Thanks! Margaret

White eggs are usually bad yep. My pair are still young and breeding in a QT with other Angels and rams. There is too much going on in there for them to leave the eggs to raise. The male on the last batch was making his "runs" on the eggs so it might be time to give them a breeding tank. I usually add some Methelyne Blue and mix RO with tap water to curb egg fungus. I find if you play around and take the white eggs out,the parents stress and end up eating the eggs. Or I just pull the eggs after they are laid and artificial raise the fry.

Only treat eggs for fungus when pulling them. Also it is a bad idea to drastically change water chemistry with the parents in the tank. These are steps to take when artificially raising the spawn.

If letting the parents raise them do nothing but water changes. The parents will take care of the eggs. However, raising fry in a community will not work out. The eggs will be eaten by the pleco before hatching or the wrigglers will be eaten by the community. If you want parent raised fry they need their own tank.

Best of luck raising them.

Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
    Only treat eggs for fungus when pulling them. Also it is a bad idea to drastically change water chemistry with the parents in the tank. These are steps to take when artificially raising the spawn.

If letting the parents raise them do nothing but water changes. The parents will take care of the eggs. However, raising fry in a community will not work out. The eggs will be eaten by the pleco before hatching or the wrigglers will be eaten by the community. If you want parent raised fry they need their own tank.

Best of luck raising them.
    Too early for my post. Hope I didn't confuse you. Yea The Meth blue I only use when I pull eggs to hatch myself. As there are no parents to pull bad eggs out. As for altering water chemistry.....I do a mix of RO and tap water for breeding pairs as I have hard water. I have "played" with my water for years and know exactly what I need to have eggs hatch and have parents care for them.

My angels just laid thier third batch of eggs.Third time on the filter intake, even though I have a piece of slate,amazon sword plant,breeding cone and a piece of pvc pipe in there. The first one I didnt count because she had them as soon as I got her home, so I attributed it to stress.Second batch lasted a little longer, but then they ate them.I hope third time is a charm.
    Two questions, First if I take the eggs and try to artificially raise them, what is the success rate?Second, will they lay eggs again if I remove the ones they just laid?

TAS Member
    Yes, it is amazing to think you have furnished the tank with many egg suitable materials and yet they go for the filter tube. The other day I saw pieces of large PVC pipe that had been cut in half hanging in an aquarium. Those you could leave in for parent raising or remove and hatch the eggs in a small tank.

I do not have a pair of parent raisers yet and I have 8 different batches of fry right now that I have run out of tanks.

The parents should lay again 7 - 21 days after the first batch.
    Last edited by chocolateplaty; 11-21-2014 at 05:28 PM.

A spare filter lift tube will help too...just change them out....watch swaps and garage sales for like type filters, grab em and use them for parts.....the other method is to simply lean the slate against the lift tube, blocking it from their spawning there....
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php