Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eggs

They should all be free swimming within a couple of hours from when the first ones start. Best of luck with them!

They up now???.....hope so
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

The parents moved the eggs around every day from the slate to the breeding cone to the driftwood and back again. It looked like they were doing a good job and I even saw one or two free swimming, but then they all died. In my other tank, I pulled the eggs and am trying to artificially raise them. They all fell off the slate and looks like some wiggling going on on the bottom, but not much. I dont want to disturb too much on the bottom because I dont want to remove any eggs.Am I doing the right thing?Should I be changing the water more?

What are you feeding the pair(s) ??
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rb1219 View Post
    The parents moved the eggs around every day from the slate to the breeding cone to the driftwood and back again. It looked like they were doing a good job and I even saw one or two free swimming, but then they all died. In my other tank, I pulled the eggs and am trying to artificially raise them. They all fell off the slate and looks like some wiggling going on on the bottom, but not much. I dont want to disturb too much on the bottom because I dont want to remove any eggs.Am I doing the right thing?Should I be changing the water more?
    I have found that the wiggler's heads don't stick very well if the water is hard. I find it disconcerting to see young wigglers fall off the cone. I have learned to let the parents blow them back on again and again and again. Eventually the wiggler's heads start sticking again.

I don't know why the wigglers your pairs moved so many times died. Did the parents eat them or did they just up and die?

Ken's Premium Beefheart Flake

Quote Originally Posted by rb1219 View Post
    Ken's Premium Beefheart Flake
    Try bulking them up with some frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, Ken's flake, etc...do moderate, say 20% water changes every other day...make em lean mean egg producing machines....LOL....also, scrub the slate really good, both sides, and use as hot a water as possible, then wipe it down with peroxide....then wait til they start 'dancing', or the female tube begins to show...before putting it back in there.....
    Jon
    - Douglas Adams

Speaking of eggs. Every fish has it's own personality or perhaps I should say idiosyncrasy. For instance Silver, my experienced Platinum Pearlscale female prefers spawning on the uptake tube of the HOB. For about 3 weeks now, she has been with a virgin Albino Silver male, (Goliath). Silver is a regular breeder but during these 3 weeks there was no spawning taking place,.

They did the getting acquainted tussling prior to breeding but no action. Silver would pick here, pick there. I knew she was wanting to lay her eggs. Then it dawned on, she did not have an uptake tube to place her eggs on. SO - I grabbed a tube, scrubbed it, positioned it with filter floss to hold it on over an a tank heater that I put in place up high with a suction cup. Of course, the heater was not plugged in.

Within 2 hours they were spawning and WHAT A BATCH OF EGGS GOT DEPOSITED!!!!!

So, we can not always chose where action will happen. We need to be alert and observe. I did get a good video of Silver and Goliath spawning on this tube. You can use the link to view if you are interested. I love my camera, I took the video about 10 feet away, zoomed in and with no special lighting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85_q...ature=youtu.be

Will I get fry up with this combo I do not know, what with the variety of each? If I don't, Goliath had a good teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by ziouxpioux View Post
    Speaking of eggs. Every fish has it's own personality or perhaps I should say idiosyncrasy. For instance Silver, my experienced Platinum Pearlscale female prefers spawning on the uptake tube of the HOB. For about 3 weeks now, she has been with a virgin Albino Silver male, (Goliath). Silver is a regular breeder but during these 3 weeks there was no spawning taking place,.

They did the getting acquainted tussling prior to breeding but no action. Silver would pick here, pick there. I knew she was wanting to lay her eggs. Then it dawned on, she did not have an uptake tube to place her eggs on. SO - I grabbed a tube, scrubbed it, positioned it with filter floss to hold it on over an a tank heater that I put in place up high with a suction cup. Of course, the heater was not plugged in.

Within 2 hours they were spawning and WHAT A BATCH OF EGGS GOT DEPOSITED!!!!!

So, we can not always chose where action will happen. We need to be alert and observe. I did get a good video of Silver and Goliath spawning on this tube. You can use the link to view if you are interested. I love my camera, I took the video about 10 feet away, zoomed in and with no special lighting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85_q...ature=youtu.be

Will I get fry up with this combo I do not know, what with the variety of each? If I don't, Goliath had a good teacher.
    Update on The pairing of the Albino Silver and the Platinum Pearlscale. I had no problems with the free swimmers getting up and swarming. However, there was a failure to thrive. I kept water quality up, temp was about 84, fed bbs about 4 -5 times per day and used the magnifying glass to check for full bellies and elimination. I am guessing just a genetic weakness and I knew results were iffy.

However Goliath the male got some great experience as the female has spawned several times. The female is back with her paired male and I now have wigglers from them. Looking forward to raising some more Platinum Pearlscales.