Thread: Breeding with Changes in Source Water

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Breeding with Changes in Source Water

As some of you are aware I have been having major issues getting my angel spawns to hatch. I haven't had a spawn survive since last spring! This includes my parent raisers and multiple proven pairs. Not a single wiggler

But, once I stopped the frustration and started to look at my records something became obvious. I rarely, if ever, have had success with breeding in the summer months. While this may not be earth shattering information, it does prove that something is up with my water. I know that my water changes sources twice a year. Once mid to late spring; and reverts back early fall. In these summer months I am getting river water; and the rest of the year I get spring water.

Once I realized this I started asking many how they go about breeding. What were their secrets to success? I have tons of suggestions as I know that we all develop our own bag of tricks that work for us. And I am also aware that what works for other successful breeders may not work for me.

So, with this in mind I am on an experimental spree. Trying out everyone's suggestions to see what works for me.

First up.....Bottled Spring Water. I do not like the taste of chlorine in my tap, even at 0.25 PPM, so I purchase spring water to drink. And, knowing that when I get spring water from the tap my spawns are successful. So, this made the obvious first step.

My F2 Peruvian Glitter / F2 Blue Peruvian spawned again late Saturday. And I pulled the slate several hours later, shortly before I went to bed. I floated a plastic container in the parent's aquarium, and I used bottled spring water. Nothing else. No water conditioner. No additives. And I pulled an airline to create some water current in this floating tub. Then started my impatient wait. Checked the eggs on Sunday, 24 hours later. A handful of white eggs, but could tell the others were developing nicely. YAY! Checked again Monday afternoon. A few more white eggs, but many were looking great. I could start to see tiny color changes that indicated they were developing. I again checked Monday night, 48 hours later, fully expecting to see wigglers. Well, either my eyesight is far worse than I realized or there were no wigglers But I didn't give up hope! Decided to head for bed. Discovered a horrible situation with a 55g tank holding my Clowns (I'll post another thread about this mishap). I was up until 2 am. So, I decided to go check on those eggs again. And I saw it! Signs of something moving on that slate. I had wigglers!

Today when I got up I grabbed more bottled water to bring it to room temp. Gently knocked the wigglers off the slate. And began the tedious task of lifting up the dead eggs and not the wigglers. That was difficult with my eyesight. But managed. Did a small water change with spring water and removed the slate. Now I have wigglers in the bottom of my floating plastic container....and still have that airline going.

No idea when I should start to mix in treated tap water with the spring water, but I can't use bottled water too long due to the expense. I am thinking that I will continue to only bottled water until they are at least free swimming, and maybe even until they begin to eat. Haven't really decided.

Hopefully this means I am back on the right path and will soon have tanks bulging with spawns and fry. Fingers crossed!!

If anyone else cares to share their experiences in this thread, please do so. In time it could become a great reference for others just learning or who are like me trying to find alternate solutions.
    Last edited by catsma_97504; 08-19-2014 at 02:22 PM.