Thread: Blue marble?

TAS Member
    I live in Rolla Missouri with my wife and handicapped son.

Blue marble?

My male Marble has a lot of blue color underneath the black 'blotches". His mate is just a regular marble that exhibits no other color than silver under the blotches. What can I expect out this pairing? Thanks Fred Cotterell

Can you post pictures

TAS Member
    I live in Rolla Missouri with my wife and handicapped son.
    I only have a digital camera that I bought for thirty dollars at Walmart. I tried to take some pictures and they all came out dark. I will try to get a friend to take pictures of my angles and then I will post them. Or is there some way to send the pics from my phone to some one and have them posted that way? My phone is not an android of Iphone. just a cell with a camera.

You can email the photos if you are unable to upload them yourself. But that would require an internet connection for data, so may not be possible with your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    My male Marble has a lot of blue color underneath the black 'blotches". His mate is just a regular marble that exhibits no other color than silver under the blotches. What can I expect out this pairing? Thanks Fred Cotterell
    Welcome aboard, FRED!!!!

To answer your question, it highly depends on their genetics. A specific phenotype (what an organism physically look like) can be expressed by as few as one genetic combination to as many as a multitude of genetic combinations. For example, only 1 genotype (the organisms inheritable set of traits that contribute to what an organism looks like) combination (g/g) will produce a gold angelfish. On the otherhand, many gene combinations can result in a black angelfish (each row is a distinct combination):

d/d
    d/g
    D/D - Sm/+
    D/D - Sm/Sm
    D/Gm
    D/D - Z/+
    Gm/D - Z/+

and a gazillion others......

So really, if your current angelfish population came from various breeders and you can't get the breeder to 'fess up, your only recourse will be to breed the pair and from there work your way back. I highly recommend going thru Joanne Norton's articles here at TAS since in order for you to get the right answers to your questions on genetics, you'll first need to know what questions to ask. If you don't, you'll potentially end up with answers that may not have anything to do with your question since it wasn't the question you needed to ask - a classic "which-came-first, the-chicken-or-the-egg" loop.

If you haven't already found them, you can find them here. There is however, one caveat: we (TAS), a long time ago, decided to use an adaptation of the standard academic genetic notation that you'll find in Biology/zoology text books. It was a move to facilitate learning/remembering/understanding (if memory serves, I believe one of these was the reason, in addition to others that now slip my mind); it isn't too far removed from textbook notation.
    Last edited by terrapins; 11-11-2014 at 11:05 PM.