Thread: Red spots on nose and body

Red spots on nose and body

I have a white angelfish that constantly gets red marks on his nose and behind his pectoral fin.I have treated with furan and kanaplex, then erithromyacin.He swims around fine and eats like a horse.The local fish store said that since he was treated and he is acting OK,that it was fine to put him back in the tank with his mate.I saw other angels at his store that had the same exact thing.Does anyone have any ideas if this is normal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _20141108_184636.jpg  

I have a Blue Zebra with the same problem. And what I've found is that I have to keep his tank cleaner, meaning no skipped water changes and nitrates under 20 ppm. Not sure what is actually happening, but I do know keeping the tank pristine is all I need to do to keep my Blue Zebra healthy and in breeding condition.

The possibility of several causes exists. Physical trauma, environmental stress, bacterial infections, etc. Dena identified environment as the key issue with her Zebra, while my experience with this I believe was bacterial. Not wanting to jump to meds, I isolated my fish in a QT tank and then slowly lowered the temp to 70 degrees and maintained it for 2 weeks. Once the fishes immune system fought off the infection and cleared up I brought the temp back to 82. It has been two years and the fish never showed it again. Prior to treatment the fish fought with the infection off and on for months. Above all, pristine water is essential in every case.
    Last edited by Danburns; 11-09-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb1219 View Post
    I have a white angelfish that constantly gets red marks on his nose and behind his pectoral fin.I have treated with furan and kanaplex, then erithromyacin.He swims around fine and eats like a horse.The local fish store said that since he was treated and he is acting OK,that it was fine to put him back in the tank with his mate.I saw other angels at his store that had the same exact thing.Does anyone have any ideas if this is normal?
    No, it isn't normal; it is indicative of a bacterial infection that may have possibly made it to the fish's blood stream. Body-fin perimeter red "tracing," exopthalmia and cloudy eyes accompanying the symptoms you mentioned makes the case mostly likely already systemic. If the redness is "watery" - when its mouth open and closes, you'll see the redness move fluidly, thats another indicator. Unfortunately, it's a hit or miss deal so far as identifying what specific type of bacteria it is and how it originated.

On the bright side, your fish looks very healthy to me, so it should be able to weather treatment very well (far gone fish can succumb to even salt in a tank. Here's my recommendation:

• Halt everything you've been dosing the tank with.

• Do a 85% to 95% water change.

• Bring down the acidity to about 5.5 (in .5 intervals over the course of a day - test via ph strips or ph testing reagents) and sustain it there over the course of treatment.

• If you have a filter you can load with carbon, use it to suck up any residual medication. Canister filters work best since they cycle at a much higher rate than say a box filter.

• Service your filter if you have not done so in the past few days.

• Lower the temperature to approx. 75F - 75F.

• Dose tank with both Melafix AND Pimafix (the pond formulation is both economical and concentrated, I dose it twice what its label recommend for these types of health crises). The pimafix will prevent any open flesh from fungal infections particularly if it has a lesion inside its mouth (to be clear, snout redness does not necessarily mean it has a wound in its mouth but it is possible).

• Repeat dosage over the amount of days suggested but at the dosage I recommended. If it requires a waterchange, do it (I don't have a bottle at the moment).

• Since neither melafix or pimafix will affect plants and filter beneficial bacteria, you don't have to move the fish into a quarantine tank.

That usually takes care of it so long as you caught it in time and under appropriate tank conditions.

Hi I have white / orange angel fish and today we noticed that he is acting a bit fanny, normally he eating a lot, but today he is just swimming at the top of the water and he has a very red nose/eyes and fins.
    I don't know what is going on with him but definitely he is not normal! I changed the water to try to make it better to him but I don't know what it could be ! If someone could give me any advice I will appreciate !
    Thanks so much