Thread: Water Changes

Water Changes

OK I hope this dosent sound silly,but when I do a water change with fry or eggs in the tank,besides being room temp water,how do I get it close to the tank temp?Do I put a heater in the bucket?

It depends on how you get fresh water into your tank. I use a hose straight off the tap and mix hot/cold water to obtain the right temperature. If using buckets you will need to find a way to heat the water as room temperature is often too cold; or to temporarily store fresh water in an empty aquarium that could be heated prior to use. If heating in a plastic bucket use caution that the heater core doesn't melt a hole in the plastic.

I'm always blown away the things you Angelfish folks get away with compared to Discus people. Y'all are making me consider changing my ways.

OK So what I did was drill a hole in the top of the water bucket and put the heater in through the hole. This way it can heat the water and I dont have to worry about it melting the plastic because it is in the center of the bucket.

That takes care of the heating. Throw in a air stone. It will take care of any pH swing.