Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: various fin types

various fin types

I am mostly targeting in this thread the veil and super veils. My question is, at what point are fins no longer veil but super veil? In other words, what are the deciding factors between the two. Thanx in advance. Karen

I always wanted to know the answer to that but was afraid to ask. Nice fish there in your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I always wanted to know the answer to that but was afraid to ask. Nice fish there in your avatar.
    thanx for the complement. He is a F1 St Isabell or did I say that somewhere else. LOL

Steve @ AngelsPlus has a good article here: http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleVeil.htm
    As Steve mentions, I have always looked to the length and thickness of the fins as a clue. Adult V/V fish seem to me to have more of a droop to the caudal fin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    Steve @ AngelsPlus has a good article here: http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleVeil.htm
    As Steve mentions, I have always looked to the length and thickness of the fins as a clue. Adult V/V fish seem to me to have more of a droop to the caudal fin as well.
    It is kinda hard to see the extent of his dorsal and anal fin as they fade to clear. He is young not yet to breeding age but is sure showing interest and has been a very aggressive fish to other males. he was great for telling me who was a male so I could pull them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1230017.JPG  

Good article. I wish I knew half as much as Steve from Agnels Plus. He has a good grip on fin length and strength but he admits there is more to know.

In my breeding I have found that my fish have longer and longer fins. I generally end up culling the ones that grow up to have droopy caudals. Droopy fins gross me out. I've gone in the opposide direction and am not for wifi's.

Zioux, that is an excellent koi. I know nothing, but if he were my fish I'd be looking for a nice standard fin female to breed him to.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Good article. I wish I knew half as much as Steve from Agnels Plus. He has a good grip on fin length and strength but he admits there is more to know.

In my breeding I have found that my fish have longer and longer fins. I generally end up culling the ones that grow up to have droopy caudals. Droopy fins gross me out. I've gone in the opposide direction and am not for wifi's.

Zioux, that is an excellent koi. I know nothing, but if he were my fish I'd be looking for a nice standard fin female to breed him to.
    He has a very nice standard fin female that I am anxious to see what they produce. In fact she may might sorta prone to being veil as her fins are no way as short as my Philippine Blues (Klaus), but really short compared to my one Super Veil German Blue. She is one nice fish, awesome body to go with her fins.

Last edited by ziouxpioux; 01-24-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Like I said, I know nothing but I think you're correct about her fins. She is much closer to the Klaus fish that she is to the superviel, though Just be careful when you select from their offspring. Save mostly the shorter finned ones. Only save the most exceptional longer finned ones. At least that's what I would do.

That is what I have in mind. The middle of the "road" fins will go on Aquabid. If they are worthy. I do not plan on auctioning off something I would not keep myself. But, in this case they will be beautiful and I would state something about if bred, their mates need to be chosen carefully.

What I do not want or can not keep for myself, or I do not feel should be on Aquabid, those go to the LFS for exchange for items. But the experience of taking some fish there the other day, was depressing. I did not like the water quality and felt like I had put them in a position of a slow death. But - can not keep all!

No need to give advice when selling on Aquabid. Post pics of the fish and let folkd decide for themselves if they're what turns them on.

I'm very fond of my LFS. We are good to one another and they do a decent job with their fish. IMO it's better to get a few bucks from them than have to slap good fish I have no use for on the concrete.