Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Tank Decor

Breeding Tank Decor

So from what I have seen, I have a normal 20 gallon high breeding tank with a sponge filter, heater, piece of driftwood and a breeding cone.My pair has been laying eggs every 9-10 days, but I have not had a successful spawn yet.Should I add some live plants to give them more privacy?If so, which ones?

My second question is that I just purchased another breeding pair off of aquabid and I can see from his pictures that he has the angels in a hatchery in 30 gallon long tanks divided into sections.It looks like the angel pairs are only in a very small portion of the tank.Is that a better way to breed them?

Quote Originally Posted by rb1219 View Post
    My pair has been laying eggs every 9-10 days, but I have not had a successful spawn yet.
    Are they getting eaten or are the eggs not hatching? Adding plants may help if you have their tank in an active area of your home, but they are not a necessity. All my pairs are in bare tanks with just a heater and a sponge filter. I use PVC pipe for spawn sites.

My second question is that I just purchased another breeding pair off of aquabid and I can see from his pictures that he has the angels in a hatchery in 30 gallon long tanks divided into sections.It looks like the angel pairs are only in a very small portion of the tank.Is that a better way to breed them?
    Apparently it works for them, but that is too small for me. Twenty talls are the smallest breeding tanks we use, but that is only for petite pairs. The majority of our breeders are housed in 29, 40 or 55 gallon tanks.

Hope this helps,
    Dan

You have one breeding pair in a 55 gallon?

You have one breeding pair in a 55 gallon?
    Several pairs in their own 55. Parent raisers and I give them plenty of room. Same with the 40 gallon breeder tanks but I have to pull the fry sooner. The 29s are for the pairs that I do not feel comfortable leaving eggs with. They are my "parent practice" tanks. I pull a spawn or two from them depending on my needs, then give them a few spawns left on their own.

Wow that's impressive.If you don't mind me asking,do you do this as a hobby or business?How many tanks do you have?I have 4 tanks and my wife is ready to throw me out.
    If you sell any pairs,I am looking for a koi pair.

Wow that's impressive.If you don't mind me asking,do you do this as a hobby or business?How many tanks do you have?I have 4 tanks and my wife is ready to throw me out.
    If you sell any pairs,I am looking for a koi pair.
    I do this out of passion and endless curiosity of aquatics, my wife however sees the money side of it. I do not have any Koi pairs for sale, but happily recommend Steve @ AngelsPlus for them. In my opinion, Steve has the most impressive Koi available.

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    I do this out of passion and endless curiosity of aquatics, my wife however sees the money side of it. I do not have any Koi pairs for sale, but happily recommend Steve @ AngelsPlus for them. In my opinion, Steve has the most impressive Koi available.
    Yes he does and I tried to buy some young ones from him, however he will ship hold for pickup only and because of where I live that would not work. Plus the address USPO gave him for hold for pick up was wrong as when I looked it up it was kiosk only, no counter service. I tried to explain that to him that was the info I was given when I checked on the location but, he would not listen to me.

If you can work with his hold for pick up only.

Waiting for them to arrive will be worse than Christmas morning.
    Last edited by ziouxpioux; 02-02-2015 at 05:15 PM.

I bought a couple of pieces of driftwood from my lfs.I notice that even though I rinsed it off very good,it still emits alot of dirt.I am constantly cleaning that dirt along with the fish poop.Do I need the driftwood?Is there something better?Or just the breeding slate is all I need?

There are a couple of ways to work with driftwood. 1. Stick it into a pot and boil it to death.....until the tannins are mostly leached from the wood. A couple of hours typically....longer if really thick. 2. Fill a 5g bucket with boiling water and soak the wood. Drain water and repeat daily. Usually takes 1-2 weeks.

And no you do not have to use driftwood in a breeding tank. All that is required is the filter and a spawning surface.

I live in an areas that is abound with Oak Trees of manu varieties. I pick up old pieces of fallen oak branches or even chucks of old roots.
    You can imagine how filthy these are, anyhow I soak them outside in large containers of water, changing the water as it darkens from the tannins and the soil falls away. It may take a couple months or more but I end up with fantastic pieces for my tanks.

Here are 2 big pieces in my 125 that I attached Javas to. The Java took off and grew very well. While this is not relevant to a breeding tank, it does show how a person can add to a show tank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2220001.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	193