Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag banding tool

lol, yep knots are free. My interest is in the workings of the jaw design. Because it is based on compound fulcrum and lever, the grip strength need not be a static factor, in other words it can be changed with a little tinkering (easier to open - even under the increased load of beefier bands) and with the addition of a catch mechanism it can be loaded, opened and locked into position (making it faster and easier to get on a bag. I'm thinking this will turn out in my favor, won't know till I try. Plus, I'm originally from Missouri, that show-me place....
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Speaking of knots I have received Breather Bags that were tightly sealed with tape and breather Bags that were sealed with a knot.

I detest receiving the taped ones. I have yet been able to open one where the results was kind to the fish. The taped ones have enough pressure built up in them that when slitting to open, the water and fish come gushing out with force. Gotta be rough on those fish. I have tried cutting under the tape etc. but that was impossible as the tape adheres wonderfully to the bag.

Now the knotted one, untied easily and I was able to gently enable the fish to flow out into the floating container in a much kinder action.

Is there a secret to opening these things when they are taped shut??

Please let us know how it works for you and HOW you made it work for you. Knots work well, but they seem so amaturish. My hands aren't as strong as they once were but they're strong enough to work an elastrator.

(Not that y'all want to know, but I found soon on that castrating with a scalpel blade and pulling the nuts out by hand was easier on the male kid. It just took some guts at first)

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    lol, yep knots are free. My interest is in the workings of the jaw design. Because it is based on compound fulcrum and lever, the grip strength need not be a static factor, in other words it can be changed with a little tinkering (easier to open - even under the increased load of beefier bands) and with the addition of a catch mechanism it can be loaded, opened and locked into position (making it faster and easier to get on a bag. I'm thinking this will turn out in my favor, won't know till I try. Plus, I'm originally from Missouri, that show-me place....
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Knots work well, but they seem so amaturish.
    lol. Oh, I don't know, I have been getting bags of fish tied with a knot for - well, I'll just say decades.... Good enough back then and still good today. It's what is inside the bag that really matters!

In using the tool, which would you say makes it unsatisfactory, strength required to open, range of motion required to open, or equally the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    In using the tool, which would you say makes it unsatisfactory, strength required to open, range of motion required to open, or equally the same?
    range of motion required to open AND get the top of the bag through the band opening that is on the tool being held open without dropping the bag of water and fish that is twisted and ready to be closed. And did not close tight enough to close the bag as is needed.

Thank you. In other words, there is a lot to address,,,,

The only problem I had was that the round green band didn't close the bag tightly. The rubber band thing might work if they were strong enough to stretch enough to survive opening the tool. With rubber bands you will need more hand strength than is needed with the green bands. I don't think that it will work but if it does I want to know.

Thanks Liz. I should have one in this week or early next and I can start toying with it. While it may work well for it's intended purpose, it sounds like a good deal of redesign is in order for bagging fish. That is not a obstacle, very doable in fact, but I'm starting to think that it may not be worth going down that road. Pretty small market when you think about it, so likely a small return on the greater effort of perfecting the design, building and patenting. Scales in my mind are tipping squarely towards 'no'. Still, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

lol. If you were able to make it work you would only have one buyer...me. It sure would be nice, though.