Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bag banding tool

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    lol. If you were able to make it work you would only have one buyer...me. It sure would be nice, though.
    Getting it to work doesn't look to be a big problem, I have found others on the internet that claim it works for them. But getting it to work for everyone is where the hurdles pop up. I have a friend who is an exceptional machinist that could build from design. But the price point on a finished working unit that would function well and be user friendly in operation pushes the boundaries of risk/reward. The tool as is can be had for less than $25, compared to over $100 for a better mousetrap. Doesn't pass the sniff test.
    Last edited by Danburns; 02-12-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Tried two of the round profile bands that came with the tool. Works fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bag Band.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	186

Even when held upside down without the support of a second outer bag. Obviously just a test, do not try this at home with your own bag, no stunt dummies were injured in the making of this series of photos. This is also not a recommendation to ship in only one bag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bag Band 2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	187

I am searching around for a flat profile band that should work well with just one applied. I have also seen different styles (different manufacturers) offered. While I did not have difficulty working this tool, I wonder if there are some available that are easier to grip?
    Last edited by Danburns; 02-14-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Tagged out of the round to catch a breath.

You obviously have the strength and dexterity to manipulate the tool. That is the two things I do not have. Now, question - do prefer this method to the old fashioned hands only manipulation of the bag and tool?

Quote Originally Posted by ziouxpioux View Post
    You obviously have the strength and dexterity to manipulate the tool. That is the two things I do not have.
    That is why I am wondering if there are other styles that may be easier to operate.

Now, question - do prefer this method to the old fashioned hands only manipulation of the bag and tool?
    For me, this is quicker and easier than rubber bands. And more importantly, I think these band are easier for the recipient to remove than rubber bands or knots.
    Last edited by Danburns; 02-15-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Shifting paradigms

I doubt the style differs much from brand to brand. Perhaps you can invent a better "mouse trap".

Here is a sample of what is out there. Warning to some this might seem to graphic so look at your own risk.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.exkY8k27pdw

I doubt the style differs much from brand to brand.
    In viewing the pictures I see several different styles. I was thinking that perhaps some are easier to use than others.

Perhaps you can invent a better "mouse trap".
    In discussing this with my machinist friend, we feel that to make something specific for banding bags and be very easy to operate would require building an automatic counter-top model. We penciled out a design that anyone who could hold a bag could make it work (also in the design is an optional oxygen injection system), eliminating the strength and dexterity needed for operating a hand-held model. The cost of which would push into several hundred dollars, not a big enough market at that price to make it worth constructing.
    Last edited by Danburns; 02-15-2015 at 11:01 AM.

The problem tho boils down with the ones already in production - they require one hand squeezing to make it operate while the other hand manipulates the bag of water and fish.

Wouldn't ya know it, after planning on how to build the better one, it still boils down to knotting the bags to be the cheapest and least complicated method, and probably fastest. LOL.

LOL, individual perception is difficult to compare. We are all wonderfully different, you knot yours , and now I not knot mine.
    There is nothing wrong with knotting bags, works fine and has for decades. Free! Some of the best fish I ever got came in just such a bag. As far as receiving a knotted bag, well that can raise an issue for some people too. We have freedom of choice to enjoy.
    Hope this helps someone other than myself, that was the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    LOL, individual perception is difficult to compare. We are all wonderfully different, you knot yours , and now I not knot mine.
    There is nothing wrong with knotting bags, works fine and has for decades. Free! Some of the best fish I ever got came in just such a bag. As far as receiving a knotted bag, well that can raise an issue for some people too. We have freedom of choice to enjoy.
    Hope this helps someone other than myself, that was the intent.
    and it was worthy of discussion. Job well done