Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag banding tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bag banding tool

Can anyone provide feedback on how well these work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fish-bag-banding-bands-fbt1.jpg  

I've found that smaller zip ties work great, especially with the tightening tool....I haven't seen that gadget around here yet tho...
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Thanks Jon. The tool was actually designed for a different purpose, but aquatic eco-systems sell them for banding shipping bags. I agree, the zip ties do a good job too.

Those are for elastrating mammals like calves, lambs, and I bought one hoping it would work for the bags. Nope - I was so disappointed. Did not work at all. I needed a method of getting the rubber band on because of my arthritic fingers.

So, now I just put two knots in the bags and pull them tight, pulling after each knot. I have not had any leaks. Karen

Thanks Karen. I found a post on another forum from someone using them. According to them two of the bands need to be used, and pressed against each other to hold. I have also seen different bands available for the tool. The different bands have a flat profile and may work well with just one. I'll give them a try and post the results here.
    Dan

Yes please do. One of the problems I had was getting the bag inserted thru the bands. Plus the tool takes hand strength of which I no longer have.

I already had the tool because I had a goat dairy. the bands didn't work well on fish bags.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    the bands didn't work well on fish bags.
    Thanks Liz. I think the rounded bands can indeed present problems. I did find someone who uses the tool with regular rubber bands. They wrap the rubber bands onto the tool, then use the tool to apply the rubber bands onto the bag. They say that it works better than trying to apply the rubber band to a bag with their hand. I will be receiving mine in about a week so I will see how it goes.

That sounds like it would work better. I have had my best results by knotting the bag. Perhaps I'm rubber band challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That sounds like it would work better. I have had my best results by knotting the bag. Perhaps I'm rubber band challenged.
    I tried using the tool with a normal rubber band and it was a challenge too, like you Liz just knotting the bag twice is the easiest, less struggle, less hand and finger strain and best of all FREE.

Think about it - geesh double bag, sometimes triple bag and count the knots.