Thread: A selection box

A selection box

Thought I'd share some of my photos....

First off a female blue clown

I paired her with this chocolate pinoy ghost veil

Fortunately, I've struggled to raise young from this pair. I suspect the problems I was having may have had something to do with the tank they were in rather than the parents, but so far, from several attempts I've only managed to raise about 20 youngsters; but, those I have managed to raise are, IMO, stunners....

and that's why I say
    Fortunately, I've struggled to raise young from this pair.
    Because if I'd raised more, I'd have sold the pair before I realised the quality of the young they produce. Now I know, I'm not parting with them!

A paraiba marble....

One of my Bulgarian Seal Points from Raiko

This one is an f2 from manacapuru x domestic silver cross. I tried a little experiment on some of these, including this one, and fed a diet of colour enhancing flakes, those fed on Tetramin seemed to grow faster, and were slightly later in developing red crowns or red spotting, but those fed the carotine rich flakes seem to have developed more glitter compared with their siblings :-

One of my Czech bred Rio Nanay F1's

Some albinos I have coming on (this photo was taken a few months back, they're close to breeding size now)
    Last edited by Pterophyllum; 04-10-2015 at 03:49 PM.
    Blessed are the cheesemakers!

Beautiful! You have a great pairing with them for sure!
    Last edited by Danburns; 04-11-2015 at 06:33 AM.

Here's a photo of a fish Bred by Raiko Slavkov, it's 81.25% manacapuru, 12.5% Rio Nanay, and, IMO, a little stunner. I've 6 of these growing on.

I love the colour, body shape & fins of this beauty

I wonder what the other 6.25% is,,,, show quality absolutely!

Stunning fish! Amazing photography! And, wonderful variety! Many thanks for sharing your photos and your struggles.

Beautiful photography and fishes to match!!! Nicely done and nicely cared for!!!

I wonder what the other 6.25% is
    These come from Raiko's project to cross Manacapuru with Koi which he detailed on TAF II. Somewhere in the process the gold marble produced a dark mutant. So the original cross was 50% Manacapuru : 50% domestic, breeding back to manacapuru gave 75:25, and at the next generation 87.5:12.5.
    Meanwhile he also mated a Manacapuru with a rio Nanay, and then mated the resulting offspring back to a Manacapuru, to produce a fish which was 75% manacapuru : 25% Nanay.
    Mating a fish from these two lines produced the beauty you see above.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterophyllum View Post
    Mating a fish from these two lines produced the beauty you see above.
    I would be more excited about breeding these than his seal points. The bg is unique and very nice in its own right, however the Nanacapuru, (I think that is what the coined them) in my opinion, is the superior of the two. Did you have to import a full box from him?

Also, I think I can make out the beginnings of a swirl in the dorsal striations.

I would be more excited about breeding these than his seal points.
    I'm excited about working with both, although, since I'm already heading down a similar route to Raiko with his "Nanacapurus", I'm still more excited about having some seal points to play with.
    As you can see from my first post in this thread, I've already got plenty of nice Manacapuru cross silvers, and I've also got some Czech bred rio Nanays (& one female wild caught nanay). What I've also got is a couple of hundred, 2 week free swimming, babies from a pairing of one of the Czech fish with one of my Manacapuru crosses, I'm calling them "Manu Nanus", here's dad with some of them...

I'm planning on pairing Raiko's fish with these.

I think I can make out the beginnings of a swirl in the dorsal striations.
    Yes it will be interesting to see how their dorsal patterns develop. I saw a photo Raiko posted of one of his Nanacapurus which was displaying the distinctive Nanay dorsal pattern.

Did you have to import a full box from him?
    To make it cost effective I would have needed to import several hundred, and that wouldn't have been viable. Instead I put a UK importer/wholesaler on the case, he brought in 4 boxes in total, 300 bg's & 45 of these black lace. My shop took 45 of the bg's, of which I had about 1/3rd; and 18 of the black lace, of which I took 6.

I will be tickled pink if my Lace Nanays turn out close in quality to those 6 Nanacapurus you have but I think it will be F2 or later. All of my Nanay crosses display a strong indication of wild blood presence but I doubt I will be truly pleased until 75% plus.