Thread: Albino Dantum X non-Dantum Albino

Albino Dantum X non-Dantum Albino

Has anyone performed this cross yet? Interested to see if the Albino gene in the
    Dantums is the same gene in non-related Albinos.

Albino is Albino.... crossing an albino dantum, to say just a silver albino...yada yada ??..or other non dantum?...will get you albinos that are 'het' for whatever else a dantum is...??
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

The albino gene from the Dantums could possibly be in a different loci, as is the case with albino ancistrus. Two albino ancistrus when bred together can produce non-albinos, that is not uncommon to hear of. The same could be possible with angels. If the cross is made and all offspring are albino then your statement would be true, an albino is an albino. However, if the cross is made and non-albino offspring are produced then it would indicate an albino gene in a different loci. See where I am coming from?
    Last edited by Danburns; 05-06-2015 at 01:55 PM.

From Steve Rybicki, "I suspect that the albino gene that the Dantum comes with, is on a different location than the albino that has been in our angelfish stock the past 25 years. It appears to interact and look slightly different."

I tend to agree. Out of curiosity I was just wondering if anyone has explored this further.
    So, until we see an Albino Dantum X Non-Dantum Albino cross, the question lingers,,,,
    Last edited by Danburns; 05-06-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    From Steve Rybicki, "I suspect that the albino gene that the Dantum comes with, is on a different location than the albino that has been in our angelfish stock the past 25 years. It appears to interact and look slightly different."

I tend to agree. Out of curiosity I was just wondering if anyone has explored this further.
    So, until we see an Albino Dantum X Non-Dantum Albino cross, the question lingers,,,,
    i respect Steve's opinion, but I'm leery of an observation opinion in this , I'm surprised that he, or Carol, who does some things with David's stock, haven't already done the cross....?? I agree, it'll be interesting to see the results...
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

When the Dantum's first made their debut I discussed this possibility (and my own personal observational opinions) with a few close friends (I might have posted somewhere as well but I can't find anything) but decided to wait for someone to make the cross to substantiate it. I was thinking that it would be one of the first crosses attempted. Whomever does the cross would not only isolate the new albino gene but the new loci as well. That is of course if they exist. I'm not a fan of the Dantums or I would have done so by now. I am however interested to see what comes from such a cross.
    Last edited by Danburns; 05-06-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    Albino is Albino.... crossing an albino dantum, to say just a silver albino...yada yada ??..or other non dantum?...will get you albinos that are 'het' for whatever else a dantum is...??
    In the case of dual/distinct loci (i.e. albino locus A1 and albino locus A2 for clarity) the result will be silvers +/A2 - +/A1. F1 sibling cross will produce (at least in theory):
    +/+ - +/+ expressed as Silver
    +/+ - +/A1 expressed as Silver
    +/+ - A1/A1 expressed as Albino
    +/A2 - +/+ expressed as Silver
    +/A2 - +/A1 expressed as Silver
    +/A2 - A1/A1 expressed as Albino
    A2/A2 - +/+ expressed as Albino
    A2/A2 - +/A1 expressed as Albino
    A2/A2 - A1/A1 expressed as Albino
    Last edited by terrapins; 05-14-2015 at 03:46 AM.

There has now been a least 2 reports of a albino dantum X non dantum blood albino cross that produced all non albino offspring.
    Correction,i believe one cross used a het albino dantum,bred by the guy who did the later cross.
    Last edited by ghonk; 01-10-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Yes, it is true there is something different about Dantum Albino. Crossing it with any other type of albino will produce non-albino offspring. If anyone is currently undertaking such a breeding program, please document it and share.