Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Albino Wiggler

Single Albino Wiggler

Six day old Albino wiggler found in a group of about 70 siblings. Parents are
    Blue Zebra X Blue Clown het for Albino. Only the female Blue Clown carries a
    single Albino gene. This was their first spawn, so there may possibly be more in
    the future. I'm not going to do anything special for it as it appears to be just
    as healthy as its siblings at this point.

Would a crossover at the Albino locus explain getting this with only one parent being het for Albino?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Albino Wiggler1.jpg  

I would be more inclined to believe that both parents carry the albino gene than anything else going on. It isn't easy nailing down genes sometimes. I have been struggling with my pair. And, it turns out my Blue Zebra carries a Gold gene although he has been paired with multiple females that carried a Gold gene and yet never produced a single g/g offspring. I am still confused how this could happen. Anyway, maybe you are having a similar experience?

Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
    I would be more inclined to believe that both parents carry the albino gene than anything else going on. It isn't easy nailing down genes sometimes. I have been struggling with my pair. And, it turns out my Blue Zebra carries a Gold gene although he has been paired with multiple females that carried a Gold gene and yet never produced a single g/g offspring. I am still confused how this could happen. Anyway, maybe you are having a similar experience?
    That is good logical thinking, and it would fit with what we know about angelfish genetics, but I am certain that the Blue Zebra does not have the albino gene. It is third generation from a clean line of Blue Zebras from John @ Mellow Aquatic. Additionally, following mendelian genetics I should have far more albinos in the group if that were the case. The spawn was small and only 6 eggs went bad, so for only one to show in a group of roughly 70 remaining doesn't fit. Both parents being a/+ would have given me 25% albino.

Still, possible I suppose. I seen freakier things in life. Maybe more clues will come in the next spawn.

Thanks for throwing that out there for me.
    Last edited by Danburns; 05-14-2015 at 07:53 PM.

I agree that the law of averages should produce 25% albino. But we must also consider the high mortality rate of albino as well. Too much light they can't see and are unable to locate food. Good luck figuring out what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
    I agree that the law of averages should produce 25% albino. But we must also consider the high mortality rate of albino as well. Too much light they can't see and are unable to locate food. Good luck figuring out what is going on.
    There have been no deaths in the six days since hatching, only 6 bad eggs in the first 48 hours.

I went back to my notes on the pair, I find myself having to do this all too often these days.

The Blue Zebra Male in the pair (Z/+ - pb/pb) is also the father of the female mate (Z/S - A/+ - pb/pb). The first cross was the Blue Zebra male to an Albino Paraiba (S/S - A/A - pb/pb). If the Blue Zebra Male carried a recessive albino gene it would have revealed itself with 50% albino offspring being produced. No albinos were thrown in the cross, only Blue Clowns and Blue Ghosts, all het for Albino. I kept one Blue Ghost and 5 Blue Clowns and sold the remaining siblings.

So, in this cross Z/+ - pb/pb X Z/S - A/+ - pb/pb I should have produced only Blue Ghosts, Blue Clowns, Blue Zebra, and Blue Zebra (z/z) with 50% carrying a single Albino gene. And yet I find myself with one Albino thrown in to boot.

So, is the answer Polyspermy? Could a weakened blocking mechanism, which normally would prevent dual
    fertilization (polyspermy), allow for a duplication of the albino gene in a single egg?
    Last edited by Danburns; 05-15-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danburns View Post
    Six day old Albino wiggler found in a group of about 70 siblings. Parents are
    Blue Zebra X Blue Clown het for Albino. Only the female Blue Clown carries a
    single Albino gene. This was their first spawn, so there may possibly be more in
    the future. I'm not going to do anything special for it as it appears to be just
    as healthy as its siblings at this point.

Would a crossover at the Albino locus explain getting this with only one parent being het for Albino?
    Crossover is one possibility. I've gotten not just 1 blushing from a pair of non-stripeless carrying fish; the proportion was almost 5%. You may have had more but owing to generally poor survival rates of albinos, the rest may have ended up biting the dust.

Is that black on the wigglers?....a/a would block the dark wouldn't it?...
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    Is that black on the wigglers?....a/a would block the dark wouldn't it?...
    All of the wigglers have black showing except the one in the very center. 50% of the offspring should be a/+. The single albino wiggler does not display any black.
    Last edited by Danburns; 05-16-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapins View Post
    Crossover is one possibility.
    That was the only thing I could think of that would explain the albino. But there has to be a gene to cross over to. So far as we know there is only one albino gene in its own location. With your fish, the Zebra and Stripeless genes are on the same locus so a crossover is well within the realm of possibility. I suspect that crossovers in multi-gene locations happen far more than what we see reported. I would guess it is pretty common, actually.

Wait, are you saying that the fish being a/+, with albino already existing on one gamete could have the wild type second gamete cross over to albino making it a/a? Maybe that is what my mind was trying to tell me all along. I gave up on the idea because I have never heard of a wild type dominate gene making a crossover to an recessive gene. Aren't all crossovers making the change to a dominate gene?
    Last edited by Danburns; 05-16-2015 at 07:23 AM.

IT would be interesting to see what occurs in your next spawn from this pair.