Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulgarian Green

Me too Ted! Not sure if I am seeing things, but I think there is some slight color development. Meaning some look very light, almost white, and others have a gray cast to them. Time will tell if this is true or not. They are only 10 days free swimming, no fin development as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
    Me too Ted! Not sure if I am seeing things, but I think there is some slight color development. Meaning some look very light, almost white, and others have a gray cast to them. Time will tell if this is true or not. They are only 10 days free swimming, no fin development as yet.

Great.....keep your photo journal going.....good reference
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Glad you like seeing the photos and my thoughts on these fish. Was afraid it was overkill. But, this is my plan to have a log of sorts to use as part of the documentation for the gene study.

If anyone else is breeding these fish please feel free to share your information as well!!

2 weeks free swimming. I can see fin development however can't capture it with the camera.

Not sure what is going on, but have dealt with a high degree of losses daily since 10 days free swimming. At first I assumed it was the typical die off that can occur from internal development issues, but now I am not sure. Removed at least a dozen dead this morning and did another water change this morning. As I am also having issues in my 125g tank I suspect my source water is changing from river to spring (annual event for me). Will be testing tap water after it has had time to sit and aerate to confirm if this is the cause or not. But, those that are going strong are showing no signs off trouble. It appears to be the thinner, weaker ones aka those who tend to hang around the sponge filter.....so maybe it is more physical and environmental.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG_2wk.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG_2wk_2.jpg 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG_2wk_3.jpg 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG_2wk_4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	246

I just want to thank you Dena for your efforts in recording, no matter what you're finding. Every little tid-bit is going to help us narrow this down. I say kudos! Keep going, it is appreciated.

Thank you Leslie! Glad you are finding this amount of detail useful.

Spawn is now 3 weeks free swimming. This last week took a major hit. There are now only about 50 left. No idea if it was a phenotype that died out or if something else. No changes in my water so that wasn't a factor either. Moved the survivors into a 10 gallon tank.

Still can't get a decent photo, but here is what I did get over the weekend.....

Name:	BG_3wk.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG_3wk_2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG_3wk_3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG_3wk_4.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	251

FYI - The same pair spawned again. Very small spawn, but should hatch tomorrow afternoon.

The fry are now 32 days free swimming. And at 1 month they are not quite pea sized. Never did figure out what went wrong, but there are about 35 survivors in the 10g tank. All fry continue to have light bodies. No indications in any of the survivors of the presence of the Dark gene.

Name:	2015-09-09 11.43.33.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	252
    Month old fry

Name:	2015-09-09 11.42.29.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	253
    Spawn #2: 2 day free swimming

A few more photos of the older survivors. They are still about pea sized.

Name:	BG_09-2015.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	256 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG2_09-2015.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	257 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG3_09-2015.jpg 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	258

I am calling the 2nd spawn a loss. My source water is definitely changing and most are not surviving. In fact I've lost many as large as quarter sized over the past couple of weeks. Never experienced so many losses this time of year before!

First spawn is now 2 months old. And I noticed this morning that color changes are happening. Instead of looking like little Gold angels with a green tint there is a distinct color development in the fins in many of them. They are mostly predime sized. Still growing very slowly! Fins are now colored with a copper/grey tone and a olive body or the fins have remained mostly clear with a much lighter body.

Compare the lower right with the rest and you can see the color changes going on. They were all the lighter color until now.

Name:	2015-10-07 11.56.00.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	304

Horrible photo, but it really shows off their green tones with the flash

Name:	2015-10-07 11.54.04.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	305

Name:	2015-10-07 11.51.51.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	306

Name:	2015-10-07 11.51.20.jpg 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	307

Hello I am new to this forum... I recently acquired some bsp....I have a spawn of bsp x bsp...they doing well swimming and eating g...