Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulgarian Green

I would love to see photos of your BSP lines.

Got a few photos of this small group of Bulgarian Green angels. They are 3 months (? I think...my laptop died and I lost all my records ) and are nickel sized. All are developing coppery tones in their dorsal fins, a few have a faint outline of a black/grey coloration and the bodies are the same olive over gold color with a couple of exceptions.

One thing I did note was that 2 of the offspring had the 2 dots at the start of the caudal fin, which I believe is an indication of being pb/pb. Plus these same 2 offspring are more white in coloration, not the olive gold of the masses. I plan on keeping these two to raise to see if my suspicion is correct. If so, this means that the Manacapuru crosses also contain the pb gene which complicates our gene study.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-10 17.21.36.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	313 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-10 17.26.31.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	314

Something else I've noticed with the adults is that the dark pigment in their fins comes and goes, similar to how a Zebra can lose the coloration in its stripes. Here are a variety of photos I've gotten of the same 2 Blue Cross pairs......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1433.jpg 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	318 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1435.jpg 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	319 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1436.jpg 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	320 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1425.jpg 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	321

Just wanted to share my Bulgarian seal points.

Green ghost

Green silver

Poss pair

Very nice aqua.herp. Have you noticed the dark coloration comes and goes like with a Zebra angel? That's how mine are. One minute dark fins and black stripes and the next they look like an albino cousin.

Thanks cat, so far (only been about a week) he (guessing male) has stayed just as he appears in the pictures. I'm still a tad confused on the actual genotypes though. So they are both Bulgarian seal point(phenotype) which would be bg/bg, the one is ghost so that's s/+ but with the silver would it be D/+ or +/+ ?

You are not the only one who is confused!! I have found somewhat contradictory information and talked with others who each have their own opinions. I have seen D/+ bg/bg referred to as Bulgarian Seal Point and D/D bg/bg or D/Gm bg/bg referred to as a "true Bulgarian Seal Point". These terms themselves are leading to the confusion.

As far as I know (breeding may prove otherwise) any fish carrying at least 1 Dark gene with bg/bg may be referred to as a BSP. If there is no Dark gene present then the fish never displays dark finage and the body stripes will be very faint or possess no dark pigments.

One of my frustrations with breeding is that I have a small spawn where the parents were a Manacapuru cross (D/+ bg/bg) and a Blue cross (D/+ pb/pb bg/bg). YET, I have offspring that appear to be D/+ pb/pb bg/bg. This is not possible based on genetic info provided by Raiko. Further, the bodies appear to be olive yellow (or white) with a green cast in the reflection when catching light.

So, sad to say, with the presence of a Philippine Blue gene in fish that shouldn't carry this gene, we are going to have to isolate the bg gene and breed to prove no presence of pb before we can even begin the gene study.

Interesting. I guess when looking atleaat at my silver i just don't see any dark present? Looking at picks of lace angels D/+ I'm just not seeing the fin characteristics but I guess there is a lot of lacking info so breeding and isolating out the bg is what's needed

You are correct. In order for this organization to recognize and accept this as a new gene we need to breed and document. And the first step is to isolate the gene to ensure we can identify how it interacts on it's own as well as with other genes. Having fish where the breeder stated the parents were D/+ bg/bg only, and ending up with pb/pb offspring complicates our efforts.

The D/+ bg angels appear to have dark fins until they reach about quart size. Then the dark pigments begin to fade. It is assumed that this is the point where the bg kicks in. But at this point it remains a theory.

If/When you start breeding your bg angels, deep records. Document the parents, work out their genes, and take photos along the way. That is the only way we will gain an understanding of this new gene. And, if you choose to share those records with TAS then it would help with our efforts as well to document it.

Yes I plan to document extensively to help better understand this new gene and its characteristics. I'm acquiring 2 more greens early next week so I'll post pics for them too.