Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
There is much confusion over phenotypes and genetics where these fish are concerned.

While Raiko has stated a D/+ bg/bg is a BSP, he has also indicated this genetic combo will not hold the dark fin coloration. This is in conflict with the required dark fin and light body per Raiko's description of how his new gene affects phenotype expression with the Dark gene.

Further he has stated that a D/D bg/bg would hold the dark finage and he calls them "True BSP". However, his original photos indicate that when the term Seal Point was suggested those fish were genetically D/g S/+ bg/bg or D/Gm S/+ bg/bg. There is no mention of the Stripeless gene in recent discussions on the bg gene or BSP phenotype expression.

This is very confusing to refer to the phenotypes as BSP or True BSP. And is leading to some heated discussions.

Another point of conflict is with the "New Platinum" as this fish does not carry the gold gene required for labeling as a Platinum type. With the fish I have the "New Platinum" types appear to be light green body with blue fins. However, prior to maturity they did look much like a platinum in coloration.

Through the gene study we will hopefully be able to replicate Raiko's work. Unfortunately he has not been willing to share any information on their detailed history or his breeding records which could help to get the gene accepted. Therefore we will need multiple breeders collecting breeding documentation to submit to the Standards Committee to accurately document and replicate results for acceptance.
Thank you for clarifying, I am behind on "Raiko news" these days and so am blindsided to the fact that there are some new developments (at least from my standpoint). So, for the sake of clarity, can you post a link indicating all these new information from Raiko? If we're going to canonize this gene, best for the majority of members to be familiar now to help clear the way for the eventual acceptance process into our standards.