Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exciting times!

Exciting times!

I'm so excited... I think I'm going to pee!

I pick up my three little platinum angels tomorrow!!!! My first foray into pb. Seems such a long way from when I use to breed gold pearl scales as a 15 year old kid, 30 years ago... kinda nervous, actually! Feel like a newb all over again

Good luck! You'll do fine............enjoy the ride
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Plats are stunning fish! You will love watching them grow and pair off

Disappointed... the shop didn't place my order and they weren't there... have to wait till Friday at least now
    Last edited by TasV; 07-21-2015 at 05:05 AM.

That stinks.....
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

You know what stinks, even more? The LFS who are ordering them for me ring my wife today while I was at work because they suspected something was not right (this is why I use them because they are the only ones I've found who know what they are on about... well one of them does ) and say... the 'platinums' they can get are 'albino platinums', not actual platinums... they just call them platinums because they are white.. not because they are pb based... and that craps me off... because they are using marketing names that are used to describe a genotype to describe a phenotype. To me, a angel variety name describes a genotype and everyone who makes up these names to sell more angels are misleading the buyers and when you ring them up they don't have a clue what you are talking about. #rantover
    Last edited by TasV; 07-22-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you'll be able to source angelfish that carry the Philippine Blue gene.

Ok got three teenage platinums... and I noticed that strangest thing! They have no idea what to do with live food! On two occasions since arriving last week I have dumped a cupful of mosquito wrigglers into the tank and they've ignored them completely, letting them wriggle all over them. The other angels destroy them... but the platinums must have never seen live food in their short lives. They also did the same to small earthworms I put in there *shrugs*. Hopefully the other angels can teach them the ways and they'll learn to accept live food in time. I've got one angel who will eat primarily live food... which is probably more normal... and three who treat live food as tank-mates All the other angels are less fussy and are happy to eat anything I throw at them... worse than trying to feed veggies to my kids

LOL......always seems to be a hold out against some foods .....persnickety.....but I've known folks who prefer hot dogs over steak too.....go figure??
    Jon
    - Douglas Adams

Live worms and mosquito larvae are things my fish find irresistible. I too would be scratching my head. All I can suggest is to try a variety of foods to see what entices them. In time with tankmates devouring live foods they should as well.

Another thought, hopefully I am wrong, angels that don't eat might be full of parasites or have another disease. Monitor closely for any signs, such as bulging belly, air pockets in the feces, clamped fins, pumping gills, hiding, gulping air, sitting on the bottom, anything out of the norm for angelfish behavior.