Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Panda Ghost genetics

Quote Originally Posted by TasV View Post
    Gm/+ makes a bit of sense given the 2007 phenotype library here states that the co-dominance of gm and + will often result in the stripes showing through.....
    Bingo! The confusion is because of the premise - that the pair pictured at: http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/p...-ghost&cat=510 are Goldmarbles. They're not; what they are are Silver Goldmarbles. Paired together, and assuming that they DO have a single copy each of the stripeless gene ("assuming" since the presence of striations are not a fool proof stripeless or double stripeless identifier) will not produce Goldmarble Blushings (Orange Kois) but instead, their offspring will be Silver Goldmarble Blushings, commonly known as "Blue" Kois or more formally - Blushing Goldmarbles whose genetic coding is Gm/+ - S/S.

Quote Originally Posted by catsma_97504 View Post
    I didn't see your photo last night? But I would think those are Platinum Marbles. Gm/g pb/pb
    I think you meant to write Platinum Goldmarbles.

Having images of different phenotypes is leading to some confusion with this conversation.....
    Though I am not vehemently opposed to re-using an existing descriptive in a phenotypic name, those that decide to do so MUST include the specific genotype since like-phenotypes can be produced by more than 1 genotype in many cases. For example: Paraiba Kois, Blushing Goldmarble Pandas, Paraiba Sunsets or in the case of the picture above, Goldmarble Platinum Panda.

......... This in fact was the key reason our founders began The Angelfish Society.
    Amen to that, Dena!
    Last edited by terrapins; 08-11-2015 at 10:38 AM.

We had this single specimen from over 200 koi angel fry. I've called it a Panda Koi based on other descriptions I've seen of similar fish. Both parents were koi as well. What is it genetically? Still trying to learn and absorb all the genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by ljatsoh View Post
    We had this single specimen from over 200 koi angel fry. I've called it a Panda Koi based on other descriptions I've seen of similar fish. Both parents were koi as well. What is it genetically? Still trying to learn and absorb all the genetics.
    In order for us to address your question about genetics in your fish we'd need to see a photo. There are multiple genetic combinations that can lead to a given phenotype.

Quote Originally Posted by ljatsoh View Post
    It's a genetic Koi with either low carotenoid color (didn't inherit a lot of orange to red-orange colors) or its colors are yet to develop (sometimes a Koi's erythrophores and xanthophores take longer to mature).
    Last edited by terrapins; 09-22-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrapins View Post
    I think you meant to write Platinum Goldmarbles.
    No, I meant exactly what I said. Platinum Marbles. It takes Gold Marble with either Gold Marble or Gold as well as 2 copies of Philippine Blue to make a Platinum Marble. Gm/Gm pb/pb or Gm/g pb/pb.

No, I meant exactly what I said. Platinum Marbles. It takes Gold Marble with either Gold Marble or Gold as well as 2 copies of Philippine Blue to make a Platinum Marble. Gm/Gm pb/pb or Gm/g pb/pb.
    Gm/Gm - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble(dd)

Gm/g - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php

Then I guess you don't recognize a Platinum Marble.

Then I guess you don't recognize a Platinum Marble.
    It has to be a Plat gold marble because just a plat marble is impossible. You must have the (g) in the Gm/gm or Gm/g...to get the Plat....
    Jon
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2015-10-02 10.46.12.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	303
    That is wrong.....

Genetic Cross
    ----------------------
    Fish1: Gm/Gm - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble(dd)
    Fish2: Gm/Gm - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble(dd)

Results
    ----------------------
    100.0% Gm/Gm - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble(dd)

Genetic Cross
    ----------------------
    Fish1: Gm/g - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble
    Fish2: Gm/g - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble

Results
    ----------------------
    50.0% Gm/g - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble
    25.0% Gm/Gm - pb/pb - Blue Gold Marble(dd)
    25.0% g/g - pb/pb - Platinum
    Jon
    - Douglas Adams