Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
Yes, the phenotype name is more commonly used. The genotype name however belongs in the 'Genetic Calculator'......I'm not in agreement to dumbing it down for the majority. If anyone wants to just use the phenotype name(s) in their conversations....fine.....but the genotype name is what it is, and we need a source where it can be readily available to those that seek it.
When we do crosses of new gene submitted, we are after the genetics..........the phenotype names comes later....right?

Damon, as an example....when you were first learning about angelfish genetics....where did you start?.....the 'genetic calculator' is one of the first tools that hobbyists turn to for guidance.....then you associate the phenotype names to what the angel actually is genetically........these associations are a major part of the learning experience....
I used a calculator that is no longer available online and there were only two things I looked at. That being the gene code and phenotype name because thats what everyone used, not the genotype name. I bought a lot of new Philippine Blues and Pinoys from Carol. She didnt call them by there genotype name. I loved the Pinoy Clowns and wanted to make a bunch of them so I paired two of them thinking I would get a bunch of Pinoy Clowns and when all these other fish popped out my journey to understand the genetics began. When asking questions to all the good breeders at that time none of them used the genotype name, they always used common phenotype names. Because of this I only looked at the gene code D/+ -S/Z - pb/pb and phenotype expected results. Honestly I really don't know one person who uses the genotype names in conversation, forums or face book groups.

Just to clarify I am in support of having all three (code, genotype and phenotype) in a calculator to appeal to everyone.